Blueberries in the Whites?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Kittredge

Reaction score
How are the blueberries this year? It's been so dry down here near Boston that I'm afraid I'm setting myself up for disappointment when I go up to the Whites in 10 days.

I picked a load two weeks ago at a culivated plot of highbush blueberries in the southern foothills and was surprised at how abundant they were despite the relatively dry season. They were just starting to ripen and plenty of evidence that a bear was getting its share.

Rumford Whitecap in western Maine yielded great bounties this year. My wife and I picked 5 pints in relatively short order. If there is a better mountain for blueberries, please let me know.

I visited Rumford White cap a couple of weeks ago, I found a few good patches but overall many of the areas that are predictably reliable were decidedly sparse. I normally pick 2 gallons plus and only got a 5 quarts in roughly the same picking time. Still better than any mountain I know of.

Reportedly the pick you own patches with adequate irrigation have record production and the plants all came in early so they have too many berries, too soon.

They have busted out here in the Lancaster area... no shortage here as shown on WMUR's drought map..