The Dix Range

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Sikes

Reaction score
With the weather cooperating, we headed to the trail head down Elk Lodge Road. (It was early in the day...around 2:00 when we hiked in) Even though the sawhorse was up saying the lot was full, we drove down and found a space. :) On top of finding a space in the lot, we headed out and found the lean to was empty too! I had my tent but with the threat of a shower, I was happy to be in the lean to. I was a little concerned about a report I read about a mother bear and cub but thankfully we saw no bears on our trip.

We just enjoyed the area and hung around relaxing knowing the next day was going to be a lot of climbing. We got up early and by 6:30ish we were climbing the slide to Macomb. I didn't know what to expect and it had been 11 years since I had been up this. It was fine as we made our way to the top. The very top scared me a little trying to get around a rock but Matthew had no problem.

When we hit Macomb, the skies were looking a little dark and I was concerned. We took a couple pics, ate something and made a quick pace to South Dix and Grace always keeping my eye on how things were changing. By the time we hit Grace, the sky was clearing and the day was looking up. The sun coming up on our way there was so pretty to watch.

We climbed by to South Dix and just before took the cairn that would take us down to the col of Pough and Hough. There I made the mistake of going to the left cairn and realized my mistake very quickly that this was the bail out path. We headed back up, went to the right and found the path up Hough. We huffed and puffed our way up Hough. I have to say I hate cliffy things...haha. We managed to make it safely to the summit of Hough. We ate some more looking over to Dix and then headed over. I got my boot caught in one of the cracks you have to climb up. Matthew was having a good laugh over that but I managed to get myself up.

We met a couple that were finishing their 46 on Dix that were getting ready to down the Beckhorn. The asked us which way we were going and I told them I was thinking the other way because of my fear of cliffs. They offered to wait and go with us. I felt better just in case something did happen, Matthew wouldn't be alone.

We made it down the 2 areas that were iffy and from there it was a climb out but went fast as we chatted with our new friends. Matthew was now at 33/46 and 100/111

We hit the shelter picked up our stuff and headed to the car. It was a wonderful 2 days to be out. Now we were headed over to do Big Slide the next day.