Mount Carrigain from the Carrigain Branch 7/20

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So... I'm signing the register on NW Hancock yesterday and saw your name in there, what? FIVE times?! :D
Neat that you are having so much fun exploring in there. I, too, really enjoy your reports!

Haha! Thanks, Sue :) Yeah, I love that long ridge of Hancock, so I've been to NWH many times. I have a rule when repeating summits. I have to do it differently each time. Each of my ascents to NWH is a different approach.

If you ever want to stray south toward the Kanc. I have a mystery waiting to be solved in the area. A small inholding in the national forest on the east slope of Huntington that has no reason to be there.

The MT CARRIGAIN odd spot.jpg

The small rectangle in the middle of the image in the spot in question. My Terrain Navigator software came with a WMNF overlay on the USGS topos which shows inholdings, Fire Road numbers (quite handy) and specially designated areas in the WMNF. I ran into this inholding while researching Huntington.

I can find no reason why this would be an inholding, the topo in the area isn't special and its not a logical spot for a logging camp. The only real off the wall guess is that it might be tied to an effort to get special use for gold mining in this sawyer river road area about 20 years ago .

Other than that is may just be an artifact on the map. I unfortunately have been unsuccessful in viewing the WMNF files that were released a few years ago in Arcview that might confirm if the lot truly is an inholding or if its mapmakers mistake. I have found on prior WMNF maps that small inholdings tend to get edited out.

Its only a mile off the Sawyer River Trail but I expect about a third of it may be wet lands.

Spots like these intrigue me.

Last edited: