never been in summer: do people swim in the Lakes of the Clouds ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
or the pool on the way up the Ammo ? thanks

The last time I did was about 1972. I think the AMC frowns on it now and will seriously scold anyone who tries.

As a tradition Dartmouth brats used to haul a canoe up Ammo and go for a paddle / photo op in the lake.

Not sure if they still do.

Spencer.....????

cb

AMC had to drill ground water wells at all the huts years ago to avoid surface water regulations, therefore potential contamination of the water supply shouldn't be an issue. They don't own the land under the lakes, and I believe the lakes are outside the boundaries of their lease area. Therefore there would need to be some sort of national forest regulation in place limiting swimming. I haven't seen such a regulation.

Last edited:
10394559_803669452989639_7931788730355982798_n.jpg

Gryffin and Pemi swim in Gem's pool while she looks on...

Tim

To the OP, I passed by LOC Hut a few weeks ago and there were over a dozen people swimming/wading in the south Lake.

Heard that story from Dave Metsky many times :) Comments, details, Dave?
Yeah, it's still a thing. The DOC probably does the trip every 2-3 years, with a stop for a paddle in Lakes of the Clouds on their way to the summit. One year an overzealous ranger made a huge fuss about not allowing them in the water but that phase seems to have passed.

According to the WMNF site, South (main) lake is lap swim only, M-F, 8 a.m. - 9 a.m & 4 p.m. - 5 p.m., Sat. 9 a.m. - 10 a.m.

According to the WMNF site, South (main) lake is lap swim only, M-F, 8 a.m. - 9 a.m & 4 p.m. - 5 p.m., Sat. 9 a.m. - 10 a.m.

And for the love of all that is holy people, circle swim! There are more people who want to swim than lanes.

Pretty sensitive ecosystem you're messing with up there, and the swimming kinda sux. Cold, shallow, slimy, odd creatures... State of NH calls it Class B: safe to swim in but not to drink.

Oh yeah, have you heard of acid rain? The AMC has studied it at Lakes for 20+ years and found rain water as acidic as vinegar.

Definitely type 2 fun in my book. I'd ask myself if it's really worth it.

Pretty sensitive ecosystem you're messing with up there,

This is what I've heard about the Lakes - not illegal, but not great for the ecosystem to have a bunch of sweaty, bug dope and sunscreen-covered bodies steeping in it.

Less of an issue at Gem Pool, which is ice cream-headache cold and really lovely after a hike.