MacNaughton via Hunter Pond

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reekee

Reaction score
From the Upper Works follow all signs as for the Duck Hole. Excellent, relatively flat, trail to Hunter pond. Hunter pond is right on the trail and unmistakable. At the next major stream bed currently marked by four, hard to miss, pieces of metal right near the trail, follow the very faint herd path up the right side of stream bed. Relentless small sized spruce trees impede the path all the way to the top of the stream bed. We moved into the stream at times preferring to rock hop to get relief from the spruce trees. The path never moves too far from the stream making it easy to find when exiting the stream again. The stream will narrow until nonexistent. At this point we no longer could find any remnants of the herd path. Moving in a direct line from the stream, we bushwhacked up moving to the left a bit. Approximately 45 minutes later we found the very well defined Wallface pond herd path leading over two bumps to the MacNaughton sign. As long as there is a path keep going. It will end abruptly at very small outcrop with a nice "view from the top". Leaving the top we left the herd path where we found it. The terran funneled us back to the stream bed leading us back to the marked trail. Approximately 14+ miles round trip. For us, MacNaughton was a tough, long, old school bushwhack but very rewarding. Navigational confidence recommended. Oh, I found a pair of Buffalo Bills sunglasses halfway up the spruce chocked herd path and my first thought was, "boy this person loves misery" I'm a Packer fan which is why I found the glasses. I think I saw a Dallas fan driving up the Whiteface toll road sipping on a Merlot once.:)

Nice! That's the way we went, circa 2000.