Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Maine Woods National Monument

Maine governor is going to allow the installation of road signs to KWW.

http://bangordailynews.com/2018/04/2...hdin-monument/

Interesting to note the attendance numbers stated. It appears that snowmobile traffic which in theory was there before the monument declaration is about equal to summer visitors.

Yeah. I don't know if they will plow and maintain the road in the winter months to count vehicles during the winter months. The southern loop section is basically closed in the winter. The northern section is groomed for cross country/snowshoeing and thus car counters are not there either. I have never been to the monument specifically during warm months. I think this year I'll make one or two visits.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    Maine governor is going to allow the installation of road signs to KWW.

http://bangordailynews.com/2018/04/2...hdin-monument/

Interesting to note the attendance numbers stated. It appears that snowmobile traffic which in theory was there before the monument declaration is about equal to summer visitors.
    Luck is where preparation meets opportunity.

The now Katahdin Woods and Waters National Monument is proposed to be enlarged. https://www.bangordailynews.com/2022...ent-expansion/

There is lot of conserved land in the area by various organizations, but this might help the International Appalachian Trail route around the southern end of BSP, currently there is no official route through BSP and the unofficial route via Katahdin Lake was closed a few years ago. Matthew Polstein of New England Outdoors has had a major resort development ready for 20 years on land he owns south of the park. Most of his holdings are quite a drive from KWW while this expansion would get his holdings a lot closer. There is very active "cheerleading" group toting the success of the monument but the vast majority of folks I have talked to who have visited it are less impressed, it predominantly regenerating heavily cut over forestland that is going to take a few more decades to mature out. Very similar to the woods found via the Golden Road.

It is too bad that the monument is not expanded to cover the Matagamon Lake Dam, its reportedly in marginal condition and the loss of it will be a significant impact to Matagamon and the east branch of the Penobscot, if the dam goes, the flows in the summer will drop significantly and Matagamon will cease to be large lake.
    Last edited by peakbagger; 08-11-2022 at 01:05 PM.

I have to think they will do something with the dam, eventually as the river is about the only other recreation in that area other than BSP. If paddling the East Branch became less than enjoyable, it might push more people to travel to the Allagash where crowds at times are an issue. (Well crowded by Allagash standards, not Franconia Ridge standards)
    Have fun & be safe
    Mike P.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    The now Katahdin Woods and Waters National Monument is proposed to be enlarged. https://www.bangordailynews.com/2022...ent-expansion/
    It is too bad that the monument is not expanded to cover the Matagamon Lake Dam, its reportedly in marginal condition and the loss of it will be a significant impact to Matagamon and the east branch of the Penobscot, if the dam goes, the flows in the summer will drop significantly and Matagamon will cease to be large lake.
    That would be a shame. That is a fantastic lake for kayaking and exploring with it's size, all the coves and islands, and remote camping sites. My wife and I spent about 5 hours on it last SEPT on a nice sunny day and we didn't see anyone. Extremely rare to have a fantastic body of water like that with zero crowds,

Steve H.
    NH4000 1976-1984
    NE4000 1984-1991

Thanks for the link, it looks to me like the goal is to get a direct entrance to the monument from the Millinocket area. Currently access is easiest from the Sherman Mill/Patten exit so the businesses in Millinocket and East Millinocket do not see a lot of impact. Last thing I knew there were the two Irving stations on either side of the Sherman Mills exit and an old motel and that was about it.