Cog Railway path

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marty

Reaction score
Hi all,

Hiked Monroe and Washington Saturday via the traditional up Ammo/ down Jewell loop. Noticed a few hikers were descending a path to the right of the Cog Railway. Was wondering if that is a legal path, and if so, whether it is easier to descend than Gulfside and Jewell.

My apologies if this question has been asked before. Could not find one in my search.

Thanks,
Marty

Not Legal, its private property. Is it enforced? I don't know but it normally is signed as no trespassing at the base. The path was built when the power line was run up the mountain, many use the upper section in combination with the West Side trail as a shortcut to summit rather then taking the meandering route up to the summit via the official trail.

Last edited:
It's used more as a winter descent route. Myself, I see no need to infringe on the Cog's property in the summer, when they are conducting business. Personally, it's not something I would do anytime of year. There are great trails on both sides of it.

Last edited:
Let's see ... oil and grease stains, at least one no trespassing sign, good trails nearby ... no brainer to me, stay away. However, in a bind or a white out I'd follow it.

yup - not a preferred hiking route. Popular skin/ski route but I still have black grease on my skins from crossing over the tracks 2 years ago. Outstanding views from near Jacob's Ladder - a unique perspective and well worth visiting at some point, though!!!!!

Funny, I have searched for thoughts on this and everyone here consistently says it's not aesthetic at all and to not bother.

Funny, I have searched for thoughts on this and everyone here consistently says it's not aesthetic at all and to not bother.

I think they say that because following RR tracks can get dull, BUT, there are some neat features like the little building(s) along the track and actually going under Jacob's Ladder, seeing the sign, looking into the cirques near Jacob's Ladder, etc.

Let's see ... oil and grease stains, at least one no trespassing sign, good trails nearby ... no brainer to me, stay away. However, in a bind or a white out I'd follow it.

I would use it as well, if I had too. Funny, I've always considered that as an option, but just never had to do it.