Looking for advice on Whiteface/Passaconaway loop

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillyRay

Reaction score
Hi

I'm planing a day trip to summit Whiteface and Passaconaway as a loop. I have never been to the area, and wonder if there are any flaws to my plan.

My thinking to go up the Blueberry Ledge trail to the Whiteface summit, across the Rollins trail to the Passaconaway summit, then return via the Dicey Mill trail.

Does anyone have any advice or cautions about that route? One of my co-hikers may want to take his dog, is this route too rough for dogs?

Thanks
Rick

We hiked that loop years ago before I retired. Drove up in the afternoon after work, hiked up to the ledges over looking the lakes, and made camp there before dark. Beautiful spot and windy enough to keep the bugs away. Next day we completed the loop but not before stowing our packs and making a quick dash to East Sleeper.

There's one ledge a bit below the summit of Whiteface, on the Blueberry Ledge Trail. Not tough for humans, but as I approached it all day I was wondering how my dog would make it up there. We approached, she stepped back and looked at it, then took off way to the right. 15 seconds later I heard crashing and she reappeared at the top of the ledge. I assume she followed it to where it lowered. I asked, but got no answer.

You start and finish along a dirt road, with houses around. I recall a few dogs around, but were friendly. Haven't been there in a long time, so I don't imagine the dogs are still there...or there are others. But, should be kept in mind if the dog is running loose.

That's the classic route for bagging those peaks. For those who care, note that the exact summit of Whiteface is not at the top of the ledges but a bit further up the trail.

Is the dog an experienced hiker? There's a spot near the top of the Blueberry Ledge trail where there used to be a ladder. It's now a fairly blank and steep slab, though with handholds available from a nearby overhanging rock. I imagine many dogs will need to be carried there, though some may be able to find an alternate route. Also, the blueberry ledge trail has fairly extensive areas of bare rock. Dogs not accustomed to rough surfaces should wear shoes.

edit: dug's post reminds me: I believe it was at the base of Whiteface that a VFTT member's dog was badly injured by another dog. That must have been a year or two ago, I have no idea if the aggressive dog is still there. (re-edit: The victim was Atticus, in 2008, along the road somewhere below the trailhead. The aggressor dog was a weekend guest at a house where Atticus was on friendly terms with the resident dog. )

Last edited:
As others have said, definitely the direction to do the loop. The Blueberry Ledges scrambles can be fun but mostly of the good sort.

Note Rollins and Dicey's Mill meet well below the Passaconaway summit. You'll take Dicey's Mill to the summit (spur path on right once you're in the summit area) and then either return the same way or go down Walden to connect back over on the East Loop. Both sides are steep, ledgy, and often wet. Going down is decidedly unpleasant. Once you're back to the junction the rest of Dicey's Mill out is pleasant.