RIP - Moriah Brook Suspension Bridge

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Wilderness" preserves the wild for what it was before a civilized presence but does not need to exclude human use. Government is an instrument of that preservation though the problem seems to be when extreme points of view from both sides either seeks to irrationally exclude or obstruct any human presence or allows too much of it. Sadly, it is often a matter of money as government overreaches in achieving a certain sustainability without the means to sustainably do that!

Unlike Guyot which is technically outside of the Pemi (by creative boundary drawing) 13 falls appear to be in the Pemi.

"appears"? It's *totally* inside the Pemi. It's also one of the few tentsites in the WMNF that uses tent pads rather then platforms. The only structures at the site which aren't made of natural materials (dirt & rock) is the privy, and the bear-boxes (which are not really "permanent")

In October I wanted to hike to Moriah Gorge and forgot this bridge was gone. I wrote my two NH senators and my NH congressman urging them to get this bridge replaced, as Covid had driven up the visitor numbers in WMNF and we needed to keep these trails accessible. I got a call from Jeanne Shaheen's office today, months later, say that they were talking with the Forest Service about getting this bridge replaced.

Any other NH citizens here: write Shaheen urging to get the bridge replaced. A few more letters may do the trick.

Does contacting my VT Senators matter? I tried to cross with my family early in COVID, which wasn't happening—one of my favorite trails. It is a National Forest and not a state forest. Perhaps Change.org.

IMHO, that ship has long since sailed. The WMNF came up with a rational on why it does not need replacement, despite the replacement being in very seriously degraded condition. I am surprised with the high water this year that no one has gotten in trouble trying to ford the river.

IMHO, that ship has long since sailed. The WMNF came up with a rational on why it does not need replacement, despite the replacement being in very seriously degraded condition. I am surprised with the high water this year that no one has gotten in trouble trying to ford the river.
How is the river crossing upstream of Cedar and Cyprus Brooks at the old Spider Bridge?

Its all very dependent on stream flow. The official WMNF approved plan is Ford the river downstream at the Shelburne trail ford or cross the river on the suspension bridge near Hastings and take the Hihgwater trail. Note the Highwater trail was in dire shape 3 years ago as it had been seriously damaged and very difficult to follow in spots.