Thread: New shelter at Guyot...

New shelter at Guyot...

While hiking to Guyot last week we met a USFS Ranger who was meeting with some folks from the AMC there to discuss dismantling and rebuilding the shelter. From the sounds of it they're going to go forward with it and use the same company that built the shelter at Garfield. They had a crew there rebuilding the tent platforms too.
    Last edited by SherpaWill; 09-26-2016 at 06:00 PM.

When we were there this June, Guyot was so over run it was beyond belief. Convinced me of the need of imposing hiker limits through trailhead permits.

The new Garflield shelter sure is pretty though.
    - Dave (a.k.a. pinnah)

" Power corrupts. Absolute power is kind of neat." - John Lehman, US Secretary of the Navy 1981-1987

yes - Guyot is totally insane in summer - why go that far away from a road and end up in a city????
    Yay for winter!!!!!

I would like to see a permit system for Guyot. Such a zoo.

Quote Originally Posted by SherpaWill View Post
    dismantling and rebuilding the shelter.
    According to the SOPA, they are replacing the sills, and a couple of the lower logs on the back.
    They will also be moving tent platforms, as a few of the current ones were inadvertently built within the Pemigewasset Wilderness.
    [URL=http://www.fs.fed.us/sopa/components/reports/sopa-110922-2016-10.pdf[/URL]
    WM 48 / NE 67 / NE 100 / W48 / |62.4%
    AMC Adopt-A-Trail Region Leader Presidentials-North
    Trail adopter Carrigain Notch Tr, Stillwater Jct to Nancy Pond Tr.

I was going by what the USFS Ranger and the AMC guy were talking about. Maybe they took another look at it.

'Springtime' on the Carters (Somerville, MA)
    I was up there Thursday night. They have built at least 5 new platforms. One is pretty high up and has railings!
    | 63.0% W48: 19/48
    Trail Adopter of the Guinea Pond Trail

Quote Originally Posted by TJsName View Post
    I was up there Thursday night. They have built at least 5 new platforms. One is pretty high up and has railings!
    That's probably the caretakers platform, for setting up a canvas walled tent for the summer.
    You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself, any direction you choose. -- Dr. Seuss

'Springtime' on the Carters (Somerville, MA)
    It is behind the current caretaker platform. They also built a new large platform further up the trail that I am guessing will be the new caretaker's platform (since it will be the first platform people encounter). I think the railings are just due to the fall risk. Looks like it has a nice view.
    | 63.0% W48: 19/48
    Trail Adopter of the Guinea Pond Trail

I don't think I've seen a newer thread on this topic, so I'll relay my experience here...

I visited Guyot Shelter/Campsite for the first time in awhile this past weekend. The old shelter is still the old shelter--sturdy, but the porch is starting to lean. They indeed built several new tent platforms. There are ten total, plus the caretaker's platform. I imagine the capacity is about doubled from before. Several platforms have railings due to being elevated off a sloped ground, and several have quite nice (though obstructed) views.
    "People hardly ever make use of the freedom which they have, for example, freedom of thought; instead they demand freedom of speech as a compensation."
    --Soren Kierkegaard, 1838

I'm always too lazy to take the turn and check out the shelter but last time we spent a night there, I hammocked and cooked dinner at the shelter. It was a dreary, cold, late fall weekend and we were the only two people out there... Until about midnight when "pemi looper" started trickling in ��

Quote Originally Posted by blacknblue View Post
    I don't think I've seen a newer thread on this topic, so I'll relay my experience here...

I visited Guyot Shelter/Campsite for the first time in awhile this past weekend. The old shelter is still the old shelter--sturdy, but the porch is starting to lean. They indeed built several new tent platforms. There are ten total, plus the caretaker's platform. I imagine the capacity is about doubled from before. Several platforms have railings due to being elevated off a sloped ground, and several have quite nice (though obstructed) views.
    Luck is where preparation meets opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by Brambor View Post
    Until about midnight when "pemi looper" started trickling in ��
    Be careful. I hear "pemi looper" likes to eat potatoes.
    "I'm getting up and going to work everyday and I am stoked. That does not suck!"__Shane McConkey