New shelter at Guyot...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SherpaWill

Reaction score
While hiking to Guyot last week we met a USFS Ranger who was meeting with some folks from the AMC there to discuss dismantling and rebuilding the shelter. From the sounds of it they're going to go forward with it and use the same company that built the shelter at Garfield. They had a crew there rebuilding the tent platforms too.

Last edited:
When we were there this June, Guyot was so over run it was beyond belief. Convinced me of the need of imposing hiker limits through trailhead permits.

The new Garflield shelter sure is pretty though.

I was up there Thursday night. They have built at least 5 new platforms. One is pretty high up and has railings!

It is behind the current caretaker platform. They also built a new large platform further up the trail that I am guessing will be the new caretaker's platform (since it will be the first platform people encounter). I think the railings are just due to the fall risk. Looks like it has a nice view.

I don't think I've seen a newer thread on this topic, so I'll relay my experience here...

I visited Guyot Shelter/Campsite for the first time in awhile this past weekend. The old shelter is still the old shelter--sturdy, but the porch is starting to lean. They indeed built several new tent platforms. There are ten total, plus the caretaker's platform. I imagine the capacity is about doubled from before. Several platforms have railings due to being elevated off a sloped ground, and several have quite nice (though obstructed) views.

I'm always too lazy to take the turn and check out the shelter but last time we spent a night there, I hammocked and cooked dinner at the shelter. It was a dreary, cold, late fall weekend and we were the only two people out there... Until about midnight when "pemi looper" started trickling in ��

I don't think I've seen a newer thread on this topic, so I'll relay my experience here...

I visited Guyot Shelter/Campsite for the first time in awhile this past weekend. The old shelter is still the old shelter--sturdy, but the porch is starting to lean. They indeed built several new tent platforms. There are ten total, plus the caretaker's platform. I imagine the capacity is about doubled from before. Several platforms have railings due to being elevated off a sloped ground, and several have quite nice (though obstructed) views.