Mt Greylock map

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nyestreet

Reaction score
I'd like to hike Mt Greylock this weekend, anyone know of a decent map? I have one from AMC Mass - RI guide book, it's awful.

Last edited:
I had a very nice paper map (not available digitally), mostly black-and-white with blue highlights. It was a very distinctive style that I recall seeing in one or two other maps (Blue Hills?). Maybe it was by Trustees of Reservations, despite not being their property. Dated around 2003.

It was in the stack of New England maps I distributed, largely to Views members, when I moved west. Arm might have wound up with it.

I realize this isn't hugely useful but hopefully it'll trigger someone's memory.

I have all three, I have the DCR map, the AMC map, and the Williams Outing's Club map.. Despite being paper, I like the WOC map the best... They also have nice descriptions of the smaller peaks in the Taconic Range, their lands that they maintain and other nice short hikes in the northern Berkshires...

Jay

Did you wind up climbing Greylock nyestreet? I am camping about an hour from here next weekend so I was considering driving over and hiking it. Are there any trails preferred over others (most scenic, not just a dirt road, etc). I was looking at the trail that climbs and goes over the two other peaks on a ridge on the way to Greylock. Any advice on a desirable route would be appreciated.

Are there any trails preferred over others (most scenic, not just a dirt road, etc). I was looking at the trail that climbs and goes over the two other peaks on a ridge on the way to Greylock. Any advice on a desirable route would be appreciated.

I'll recommend a loop that starts at the Money Brook trailhead, goes up the Haley Farm trail, Sperry Road and the Hopper trail to the summit, then follow the AT to the Money Brook trail and follow it down back to the trailhead.

A loop that includes traversing over Saddle Ball is also nice and then there's the Thunderbolt Trail, probably the most challenging trail on the mountain.

Edit: I just noticed the Greylock Glen map says the Upper Thunderbolt trail is closed to hiking due to erosion. Better save that one for winter.

Last edited:
I had a very nice paper map (not available digitally), mostly black-and-white with blue highlights. It was a very distinctive style that I recall seeing in one or two other maps (Blue Hills?). Maybe it was by Trustees of Reservations, despite not being their property. Dated around 2003.

It was in the stack of New England maps I distributed, largely to Views members, when I moved west. Arm might have wound up with it.

I realize this isn't hugely useful but hopefully it'll trigger someone's memory.

It sounds like one of the Christopher Ryan maps. Here is a link to the Mt. Greylock map for purchase: from Omnimap.com The whole series of his maps that are available is found toward the bottom of this page: http://www.omnimap.com/catalog/cats/massachu.htm#p8

Last edited:
Decided to go to Speculator instead. Will maybe purchase new AMC guidebook. Thanks for all the help. I may hit it this weekend.

Bascom Lodge is supposed to be open until Oct 23 and the auto roads until Nov 1. There are restrooms, a small restaurant and drinking water at the Lodge.

Jay, where did you get the WOC map?

Thanks

Like jfb, I got mine at the Mountain Goat in Williamstown but it is no more..

I would think the Arcadian shop would have it or perhaps even the William's College bookstore, it is their outing's club, ya know... :)

Jay

Even if the lodge is closed, there is an outside spigot so long as the water is on...

Jay