Collapsible trekking poles that don't pull apart?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpencerVT

Reaction score
Anyone have any recommendations for trekking poles that will collapse/tri-fold into a back pack, but that don't sectionally pull apart from going into mud, natural twisting, dirt, abuse, while hiking????
Anything that isn't too expensive but can handle a lot of abuse would be great.
I like handles that are hard (plastic, not foam) because it's easier to scrub off the inevitable pine pitch.

I mean don't untwist or sectionally come apart from hard hiking, like if they go down a few inches in the mud. In other words, the clasp/locking/pin mechanism needs to be really good.

When I first went to poles I was using the twist locking type, Komperdell and Leki. No matter how much attention I would pay to them at some point they would collapse or get stuck and pull apart and the plastic screw would break rendering them useless. I would go through 1-2 sets a year. I finally tried a pair of Black Diamond elliptical flint locks. Some 8 years later I still have the first pair I bought. They have never collapsed on me or pulled apart. They have seen a lot of action and they show it but they are still reliable. I have fallen on them, got them stuck in rocks and cracks and one has a slight bow but they have been great. I was looking for some elliptical ones for a friend but I can't seem to find them anymore. Plenty of round shaped with flint locks but no elliptical.

Don't or can't? I have never had them come apart while hiking ("Don't"), for any of the reasons you mention, but I have had them collapse from too much weight. This is true of all three pairs of poles I've owned.

Tim
sometimes a good solid wood hiking stick is better for this reason

I have used Lekis for years (25) with twist locks. I have abused them heavily and the only time they collapse is winter time with the large diameter snow baskets. The one thing I do that many don't is I take them apart when I am done hiking and let them dry out. If they are left collapsed all the time especially when wet, they will corrode inside and form aluminum corrosion that makes them slide and hard to lock. The Leki rubber handles hold up well except when used with Deet. I have their cork looking grips currently that seem to hold up against DEET better. Leki also has great warranty and if you need parts they can supply them. Some folks insist they need to replace the twist locks on occasion but I never have.

I do admit that over the years that I have developed an almost subconscious effort of checking the tightness of my poles by giving them a twist on occasion. I usually consciously do it prior to descending. I am not a lightweight and routinely put my total weight on the two poles when heading down steep slopes. I have bent pole sections along the way and that is usually why I buy a new pair if I cant mix and match old parts. I expect if I wanted to I could get new parts on warranty but if I have gotten reasonable use out of product and the damage is caused by my abuse I usually don't expect to get free parts. I usually buy the same design pole and mix and match parts. On average I get 3 to 5 years off a set and they are quite beat by the time they get replaced.

Last edited:
I used to have aluminium poles with internal locking mechanism which eventually froze in place and I couldn't collapse them. Hence I decided to upgrade to carbon fiber trekking poles with external locking mechanism as I reasoned it would be easier to fix. I picked Cascade Mountain poles that I found on Amazon mostly because of price (around $45 now) but also because of lower weight and the fact that they are NOT shock absorbing as I want to have some extra support while descending steeper trails or slopes. I have had them for 2 years, I have put a few hundred miles on them and so far so good. I never fell on them, so I don't know if they would break or not but I didn't have any mishaps in a couple situations when a pole got stuck between the rocks and I pulled on it sideways.

I've had 2-section and a 3-section sets of aluminum Leki (twist lock) poles for 20-30 years. They both still work perfectly requiring only an occasional disassembly for cleaning and/or lubrication of the plastic expansion nuts. (Lubrication only requires a tiny amount of vaseline or silicone grease on the expansion screws. Make sure you do not get any of the lubricant on the outside of the plastic expansion nuts or the inside of the tubes...)

Replacement plastic expansion nuts are readily available. (I am still on my originals.)

I also have no trouble with them collapsing or pulling apart. The sections have never seized.

Doug

One thing that will wear on any pole is the pole tips. Leki sells replacement tips. The important thing to realize is that if you wait too long to replace the tips, the bottom of the pole could get damaged and the new tips wont hold as well. For the vast majority of hikers wearing out pole tips is probably not something they will see. Far more will get them wet, stow them collapsed and wonder why they cant get them apart and go look for another brand.

By the way I like the springs, I do realize some like them and some hate them.

For the folks who really use their poles a long time and get the "click" from the lower pole, I have a fix that has worked well, but I expect few will ever use them long enough for the click to appear.

Last edited:
I realized that majority of my trips the poles never get used collapsed. Getting one size fixed poles is the answer. No issues with locking mechanisms or wear and tear and weight savings to boot.

I've broken the twist locks on a few different Leki poles. Went to Black Diamond with the flint locks, and never had a problem with the locks. I think I've had them over 15 years now. I use them for hiking and skiing. I've snapped sections before, and had to replace the individual sections a few times.

You do have to ensure they are screwed tight -not too tight- before you head out for the day.

I'm a huge fan of Black Diamond lever-lock poles. I've yet to have one collapse. They don't come with plastic handles though. Those are found more on cheap trekking poles.

Another vote for BD Flint (Flick?) locks. Twist locks are a head ache.

I've also had the BD Flicklock poles for about 10 years or more. Got them for the reason you stated, my old Leki's would twist and collapse. Mine have cork grips cause I like the feel better then plastic, but they come in many versions, never had any problems with them, they never have collapsed while hiking. I do however open the clamps when I store them after hiking, just cause I feel it reduces the stress on the mechanism.

About 2 years ago I purchased a set of the BD z-poles because I wanted lighter weight and didn't need variable length for summer hiking. The z-poles come in single lengths, have 3 segments, and just pull together via an internal kelvar cord. I have been very impressed with them. I got the pair with cork grips, but I don't think they offer those anymore. Again, numerous versions & materials and price points

Last edited:
I used Leki poles for years and loved them, but I had two complaints. One, the twist locks really stunk in the cold, very hard to close and sometimes they would just freeze and I could not close them. Second, the poles suffered from corrosion from getting wet. You had to take them apart when they got wet and even then, they got pitty. About 7 years ago, I went to Black Diamond Flicklocks. These are far superior to Leki's. They never collapse, ( although my Leki's never did either) and they get zero corrosion, even when I don't take them apart. The locking system is always easy to use , even when wet or frozen. My only issue was the wriststraps slid open, that I fixed by sewing them fixed with heavy thread, but I customize all my gear anyway.

I realized that majority of my trips the poles never get used collapsed. Getting one size fixed poles is the answer. No issues with locking mechanisms or wear and tear and weight savings to boot.
In contrast, the ability to change the length is important to me--I change the length my hiking poles* to suit the terrain (uphill, downhill, traverse, etc) or collapse them (and hang them off a wrist) for a short steep section where I need my hands or to store them on my pack for extended periods. I rarely use them on level ground (not much help...).
* I also adjust the length of my ski poles to suit the terrain.

Lots of howto info at Pete's Pole Pages: https://web.archive.org/web/20140605093116/http://www.personal.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/poles.htm (Note: the no-longer-available original web pages contained pictures. This text-only archive will hopefully suffice.)

Obviously, one should buy what suits one's needs.

Doug

Haven't owned/tried Black Diamond, but I have had nothing but stellar customer service from Leki, even when I bent poles due to catching a tip and putting too much weight on them. The tips and the straps are not guaranteed for life, but the poles themselves, including the flick lock mechanism, are. I am on a pair of Christalos right now which I had issues with until the rep convinced me to create a 125cm pole by setting the top to 130 and the bottom to 120, thus taking 5cm of leverage off the bottom (thinnest diameter) section.

It's never a bad idea with any gear to make sure it is clean and dry after you're done using it.

Tim

agreed.

I have several versions of poles as I'm the ever so happy first adopter :)

In contrast, the ability to change the length is important to me--I change the length my hiking poles* to suit the terrain (uphill, downhill, traverse, etc) or collapse them (and hang them off a wrist) for a short steep section where I need my hands or to store them on my pack for extended periods. I rarely use them on level ground (not much help...).
* I also adjust the length of my ski poles to suit the terrain.

Lots of howto info at Pete's Pole Pages: https://web.archive.org/web/20140605093116/http://www.personal.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/poles.htm (Note: the no-longer-available original web pages contained pictures. This text-only archive will hopefully suffice.)

Obviously, one should buy what suits one's needs.

Doug

I've owned Leki 'Super with the shock springs in them for many years... the early ones way back when had a locking issue. But they are different now.. I've never had them collapse. I lean into them big time.. I'm old fat and bald... These are the twist lock types. Not the lever action's which I think are a waste for my type of usage.