Foliage is Stunning this Fall

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisB

Reaction score
I'm up in the Carabasset Valley for the week and I can tell you that --despite the drought-- the foliage is vibrant.

Lots of deep yellows, bright oranges and amazing reds. That coupled with blue-birds skies makes for some scenic vistas.

Barely a trickle in the river, but the trees are putting on quite a show. I'd guess full peak arrives here next week.

So head North for the looong weekend and enjoy.

cb

f1.jpg f2.jpg f3.jpg

Last edited:
I would guess we are just about at or just about near peak in Gorham and Randolph. Not much leaf drop except for the Ashes. I definitely seen a few "day glow orange" maples. Looks like the season has shifted a couple of weeks later the past few years as in the past we were past peak Columbus day weekend.

That's good news. I'll be staying in Woodstock Sat-Tues. Hopefully I'll get some great foliage hikes in.

AMC Facebook page has been sharing photos from various huts in the Whites and the foliage does look pretty incredible right now. Hopefully the crowds are not as completely insane as they were last Columbus Day. Had a brutal ride up there last year. Traffic was as astounding as the foliage.

I have 9 days off coming up. Going to do some hiking and peeping myself. Man, I love fall hiking, as dog does my dog, who sweat his ..... off this summer.:eek:

Counted 190 cars on one side of RT 3 at Franconia campround heading south yesterday before noon. I assume more were coming as some were just getting out of their cars...got to Lincoln Ex. 32 and it had a back up down 93 for miles..we laughted... stuck in traffic down south come up here and stuck again.. they must like it... We took 112 to 116 then to Franconia back to Bretton Woods . The around Lancaster Whitefield were the colors were the best. I've been on the Kanc many times being I live here and you don't have to drive that to see them.. just take any other back roads or state rural roads.. they could of enjoyed the day better getting off the main stream...easy to do..show's we humans aren't that smart.

I hiked Zealand Ridge up to Zealand Mt and part of Ethan Pond Trail on way back and the color in there is absolutely peaked out and awesome right now. The valleys where Thoreau Falls Tr and Shoal Pond Tr are looked like an explosion of reds, oranges and yellows. The Zealand Outlook had million dollar views. Doesn't get any better. Going home 4:30-5:30 PM or so the traffic and crowds were pretty good but nothing like last year. I was able to get into Lincoln and hit the McDonalds in sluggish but doable traffic. Last year the traffic was backed up 3 miles South on RTE 93. Was fairly overcast though.

The hills of the Northeast Kingdom were on fire yesterday. Definitely peaking.

Cherry Mountain Road today. It's a great year for foliage.

0_0_acd981935c39aabe45f9d5ec78be79a6_1

Question for the White Mountains locals and/or those who were in the White Mountains this past weekend: I know it's not an exact science, but what areas do you think will be hitting peak foliage this coming weekend? Thanks.

Past peak by this weekend, Billy, at least in the northern pressies. We along the Androscoggin Valley are seeing rapid leaf drop and dulling of color. Not to say there won't be " decent" color, still, but " peak" is moving south, quickly.