Which direction for a Wildcats, Carter Moriah two nighter?...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SherpaWill

Reaction score
I'm planning a 3 day traverse of the Wildcats, Carters and Moriah, with overnights at Imp and Carter Notch. What would the better direction to go? I will traveling pretty light, probably between 25-30 lbs.

I would go South to North. A) Start elevation is higher than finishing, B) Fun, steep climb up Wildcat is easier to ascend than to descend.

Three days seems like a long time. A fit hiker could do it in one long, big day, or as more reasonable day-and-a half. Tip: drop your car at the Moriah trailhead in Gorham, make a cardboard sign saying "Pinkham Notch" and hitch a ride (unless you're doing it with a car drop with a friend). That said, you know your own climbing pace.

I would go South to North. A) Start elevation is higher than finishing, B) Fun, steep climb up Wildcat is easier to ascend than to descend.

Three days seems like a long time. A fit hiker could do it in one long, big day, or as more reasonable day-and-a half. Tip: drop your car at the Moriah trailhead in Gorham, make a cardboard sign saying "Pinkham Notch" and hitch a ride (unless you're doing it with a car drop with a friend). That said, you know your own climbing pace.

Thanks for your advice. I thought two nights would break it up more evenly but I think you're right about doing it in a day and a half with an overnight at Imp.

Another reason for dropping from 3 days to 2 is that in addition to saving the weight of food for another day, you also have the potential to substitute a self-service stay at Carter Notch Hut for the weight of the shelter you'd otherwise need to carry.

I also would favor south-to-north for the reasons TEO stated, but there is a serious caution. Depending on when you're going and what Mother Nature chooses to do, you could be looking at substantial ice down the north side of N. Carter. That stretch is steep, ledgy and difficult even at the height of summer. When cold (there has already been rain and freezing temps there), the ice warrants extreme caution. Unless you're armed with up-to-date intel to the contrary, traction and a rope (at minimum) would be a really good idea.

Because up is less hazardous than down, at the expense of 1000'+ of elevation gain you could mitigate some of the risk by going north to south. Were you to do this, you can avoid a steep descent off E via a cakewalk down Polecat from D. While also steep, ice down the south side of Carter Dome is more likely to be manageable early-season.

Last, a bit of math to consider in the event that your fundamental objective is to get the peaks, with backpacking being merely a means to that end rather than an objective in its own right. The full south-to-north hike from Glen Ellis to Bangor Street is 19 miles long, with just under 7000' of elevation gain. Dropping Moriah from the equation brings the numbers down to 14/5900. The latter constitutes a moderately challenging hike for someone in good shape with a day pack. Following that with a frugal stay in Gorham ($24 & up), you could then rest up and enjoy Moriah (10/3200) as a separate day hike. Your 2-day total is 5/2100 greater than if you did the south-to-north backpack, but you're doing it with a day pack, and you're avoiding North Carter altogether.

Alex

Note for anyone planning to camp in Carter Notch instead of staying in the Hut:

Sometime between November 2015 and September 2016, the Forest Service "redefined" what "1/4 mile" is from the Carter Notch Hut.

It *used* to be that the FPA sign was on the AT at the Wildcat Ridge/19 Mile Brook trail junction (where the trail sign says "0.3 to Carter Notch Hut"), and there were 3 or 4 very nice camping spots just outside the FPA on the west side of the Notch headed down 19MB.

*Now* the "1/4 mile" boundary is nearly 1/4 mile down the 19MB Trail (this is some kind of "new math"). There is a flatish area on the left downhill from the new sign location, but it's not great, it's just OK.

If you're doing a Wildcat/Carter traverse this means you have to lose a fair amount of elevation to get outside the FPA.

I did notice one spot on the Carter-Moriah Trail above the steeps maybe halfway to the summit.

I was rather surprised to find this when we backpacked up for Flags on the 48. Fortunately we camped before we got up into the Notch, so we didn't have to turn around. Last year, we camped in the Notch (outside the FPA). I forgot to check the TH kiosk to see if they updated the map.

There is also one small legal, as of this summer, campsite south of the Mt Hight summit just inside the woods on the AT directly off the side of the trail. It is a dry campsite big enough for one tent and the closest water is west down the slope from the northerly Carter Dome and AT junction. It is quite popular with thru hikers as it allows a short walk to the open summit of Mt Hight. There may be one or two more before the southerly Carter Dome junction but they are not as well defined. It is below treeline but very exposed at the crest of the ridgeline and would not be my choice on a nasty night.