A Senior Moment...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigmoose

Reaction score
So...
I read where PatnJane, nearly into her EIGHTH DECADE climbs her 48 winter NH 4,000s in two seasons! A kindred spirit, for sure, of Merriam Underhill who was in her sixties when she started the winter game back in the sixties.

And I see Sclimmer reporting on his winter conquest of the 131 New York summits above 3500', finishing on Little Santanoni. Superhuman!

Both incredible accomplishments, but which is more impressive? Schlimmer's climbs, mostly solo, many interminable bushwhacks, usually breaking trail by himself, are more than most of us could fathom. But double his age, stick him in PatnJane's snowshoes, and I wonder how he'd fare....

Here's the point. Climbing in meteorological winter gives you another list. Why not have some kind of "senior" designation for lists as well? Just as marathoners have their age divisions, could we somehow honor those amongst us who climb everything on a list or lists after, say, their fiftieth birthday?

For instance, if Roy climbed everything on his "New England Finest Fifty" list AFTER his fiftieth birthday, we could call him an "Over-Fifty-Finest-Fifty Finisher! We could have the "46-over-fifty", "111W-over-fifty," whatever.

A senior category would provide a good excuse to revisit peaks you might have done when younger, as well.

Just some food for thought now that winter season's over for another year....
Hey there, you with the bifocals...whaddya think?
JT

Hmmm... though I like your idea I still would like to revisit a quote by Gene Daniel, "Those who hike the 48 over a span of 50 years, deserve the same credit as someone who did it in 3 days."

Now.. two different subjects of course but the same logic would resume. Someone in their 80's would certainly deserve as much credit as someone in their teens... according to Gene Daniel.

Me Personally... I think anyone over 50 that hikes the 48 deserves a life supply of metamucil. lol.. :p Just kidding.

Seriously... thought some would beg to differ... I agree. Thats some accomplishment. The body acts much differently at higher times of existancce. Just ask George Fitch ;)

Over 50 and being called senior? Hey wait a minute!! I'll turn 50 this summer and I tain't no senior!!! Admit as I must, I do have a senior moment now and again.........Now, if you (anyone) are younger than me, you are my junior........may I call you Junior? "May I help you up this steep embankment, Junior?" "Excuse me while I pass you, Junior" "I'll wait for you at the summit, Junior" :D :D :D
........Jade

bigmoose said:
A Senior category would provide a good excuse to revisit peaks you might have done when younger, as well.

Just some food for thought now that winter season's over for another year....
Hey there, you with the bifocals...whaddya think?
JT

Any excuse is good if you need one.

Walking - the great equilizer

My great aunt (Althea Johnson if anyone might have met her) was a regular wanderer of WMNF until about 10 years ago. She has since passed on.

I remember being around 10 years old and impressed that she was climbing Tuckerman's ravine solo well into her 70's (Sorry... no winters). I couldn't imagine her doing it as she seemed to move slowly. She took me on my first trip up Mt. Cardigan and by the end of the day, she was moving at the same steady pace, and my Atari-trained body was sucking wind.

She taught me that walking is probably the best life-long exercise program, and gave me a hobby to last a lifetime.

Thanks, Auntie Al. :eek:

It's always nice to be respected for an accomplishment that defies age, disability or other obstacle but I don't think most people hiking over 50 particularly need their egos massaged by such a distinction. Chances are they appreciate the accomplishment for what it is and don't need no stinkin' special accolades attached to it.

Besides, I'd have to wait too long to claim eligibility. ;)

Sherpa John said:
Me Personally... I think anyone over 50 that hikes the 48 deserves a life supply of metamucil. lol.. :p Just kidding.

If your colon needs metamucil chances are you should have been using it long before 50. It is a good antidote to the highly processed low fiber diets that many of us find so convenient on the trail and off. Maybe there ought to be a special category for Under 50 and Knows Good Food.

bigmoose said:
Here's the point. Climbing in meteorological winter gives you another list. Why not have some kind of "senior" designation for lists as well? Just as marathoners have their age divisions, could we somehow honor those amongst us who climb everything on a list or lists after, say, their fiftieth birthday?
I had a discussion of this last year with a well known mountain safety writer when there were 2 72-year olds making a winter completion of the SRKG Trail.

Now if you are figuring the youngest to finish you take the date of their final peak and if somebody younger finishes they are out of luck, but if you are figuring the oldest you should take the date of their first peak instead. Bob Underhill for instance was over 70 when he finished but had done half the peaks as a young man. My sister was at one time the youngest to finish the winter NH4K (at 20, it is now down to 3?) but did not do Galehead which wasn't required then. If she waits until 80 to bag it in winter, that is not quite the same as someone who does all 48 the year they turn 79!

Another advantage of "first peak" is that you can remain in competition. If you do all 48 at age 81 and somebody else does them at 82, you can then do them all at 83 to regain the crown.
For instance, if Roy climbed everything on his "New England Finest Fifty" list AFTER his fiftieth birthday, we could call him an "Over-Fifty-Finest-Fifty Finisher!
While I got them before 50, there is a guy called PapaBear who just might do this :)

Last edited:
I use 50 as my base number because well.. my mom... ya.. Once she hit 50 I'd say it appeared things started to fall off... including whatever it is that keeps her sanity intact.. oh wait... maybe it was just because of me! :eek:

Meant no harm.. sorry if I offended anyone. Hehe.

Hey George.. ya.. it was past my bed time... and ANYONE can call me Junior. I think its kinda fun!

OK then..........

This seems to be the time we all tell our age and everyone younger than us to F off. :D So by all means, let me not miss this opportunity. I am 40, :cool: I can hike circles around SOME people younger than me and I know SOME people who are older than me who hike circles around me.

Mo Ellozy comes to mind as someone who is over 50 and the specter of keeping up with him on a long slog turns me into a couch weenie.

Sherpa John on the other hand.......well, we'll leave that alone for now! ;)

My vote is no special patches for age. It all good at any age.