Snow on Ground up north

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
The snow is starting to stay around up North at 1400 feet along RT2. Even in the somewhat sheltered softwoods, its staying around on the ground. Luckily its not sticking on the roads yet

Considering I was walking in the nearbywoods in shorts and a T shirt less than a week ago the weather has definitely turned the corner to late fall.

Last edited:
The snow is starting to stay around up North at 14000 feet along RT2. Even in the somewhat sheltered softwoods, its staying around on the ground. Luckily its not sticking on the roads yet

Considering I was walking in the nearbywoods in shorts and a T shirt less than a week ago the weather has definitely turned the corner to late fall.

Considering the highest peak in NH is 6,288 ft I guess we don't have to worry about it just yet. :p

Same big change here in the ADKs. Was rock climbing in a T shirt on Wednesday. 4" of snow at my house by Saturday. Summit forecast for tomorrow is high of 24F, subzero wind chill.

But I have no use for shoulder seasons - let winter begin, like throwing a switch! (And I hope for the same in the springtime - powder and ice, until it all suddenly melts and dries up, and presto! it's summer.)

But I have no use for shoulder seasons - let winter begin, like throwing a switch! (And I hope for the same in the springtime - powder and ice, until it all suddenly melts and dries up, and presto! it's summer.)

Sounds like you ought to move out of the Northeast. Upper 40's to low 50' with drizzle and showers in the forecast all next week in Lake Placid. Don't get me wrong I'd love to see it start dumping the white stuff!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1y8BFwsnPKE&feature=youtu.be

Yeah, I'm kind of rooted here so I make the best of it. The start and finish of this summer were fantastic. And I do what I can with elevation and aspect to shorten the shoulder seasons. And if I'm stuck with a shoulder season, at least I finally get some chores done around the house!

Shoulder seasons require a bit more planning to find a great hike, but compromise is needed, especially in mid/late April. I like hiking when the leaves are down but there is no snow yet. The forest has a somber feel to it when it is cloudy.

That said, if I woke up tomorrow and it was snowshoe season I wouldn't be upset (unless it was because I had been in a coma, I guess). :)

November is, to me, the most dangerous time of the year. It's cold, and seemingly always wet. Days are rapidly getting shorter. Leaves are on the trail, and they are slippery. Ice is hidden on trail and crosses. Up high, you may need traction occasionally, so you are constantly switching between spikes and not.

I love this time of year, the woods are quiet compared to other times. I also like the transition, not to cold, not hot and funky weather. I'm past loving winter, to be honest. I might spend this winter doing smaller peaks that have been on my list for year's.