Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Saddleback Mountain Sale

Quote Originally Posted by skiguy View Post
    "A big advantage Mad River Glen has over Saddleback, snowwise is its exposure".
    The biggest advantage is it's proximity to a major metropolitan area. Read: $$$. There are many NJ ski club lodges surrounding MRG.
    Have boots will travel.

Sorry billski but your above post quotes me. I was not the original poster of that quote. I believe it was rocket21.
    Last edited by skiguy; 11-03-2016 at 10:18 PM.
    "I'm getting up and going to work everyday and I am stoked. That does not suck!"__Shane McConkey

Quote Originally Posted by skiguy View Post
    Sorry billski but your above post quotes me. I was not the original poster of that quote. I believe it was rocket21.
    You're right of course. Mea culpa...
    Have boots will travel.

Press conference today to announce a "historic" sale.

A lot of teasers on the morning news, but nothing concrete.

The congressional delegation all appear to be wanting to share the limelight, so I expect its probably the local investor deal sweetened with some sort of government assistance or assurances.

Purchased by the Australian developer; with bold commitments for the future
    http://www.pressherald.com/2017/06/2...ck-ski-resort/

Well what the heck my guess was wrong. So we now have two "destined to be world class ski areas" about 65 miles apart (Balsams and Saddleback) with a third "world class resort", Jay Peak and Burke Mtn, for sale to the highest bidder by a federal government receiver. Great for the local businesses and suppliers in the short run but I still don't see how the fundamentals of lacking a good air travel connection and the distance from southern NH and Mass disappear. Then again a rising tide lifts all boats theory may apply so maybe this will give the area the critical mass to develop a national audience.

http://bit.ly/2tXFm7T

Here's a little FAQ which was posted to Saddleback's Facebook page outlining some of the plans. Color me skeptical...

By the way, Sugarloaf (29 miles away) has attempted to become a world class 4 season resort at least twice. The conservation easement is interesting, the Fed already paid the prior owner of Saddleback a bundle (well above market rate) to protect the AT corridor. The fed had commissioned a development plan for the resort prior to that previous transaction so I guess its time to pull it off the shelf.

I expect the next shoe to drop is putting in the capability for foreign investments to get the special H1B investment status for economically disadvantaged areas.

I wonder how this will connect with MHT plans for a hut in the region? Both organizations are promoting eco-tourism. It would seem to be complimentary.

To overcome the distance, you'll have to make the resort different than other resorts. The skiing is skiing, you can't change that too much. My experience hiking Saddleback is that it's one of my favorite summit areas, the hike up from Route 4 is a bit long but not difficult, that said, I've done it once. It's not easy to get to from Southern New England or from NY.

To make it work, IMO, they need to make it a premier week long destination or a destination where many people have 2nd homes and pay for access as part of a club or some type of association. The key probably has more to do with the 200 lots mentioned. What can you do to make me want to make that drive? Why is it different and better than your competition?

How to you make the population living in the populated areas make that drive? What kind of boating is allowed in the nearby lakes? Ziplines? An amusement park? (as a hiker, I'm cringing at some of these) Concert destination? Convention center, you usually need easier transportation for that. We'll wait and see.
    Have fun & be safe
    Mike P.

Doesn't sound positive for Saddleback opening again any time soon.

https://www.pressherald.com/2018/03/...doesnt-reopen/

When it was first announced he was buying it there was a lot of scrutiny on his background which seemed to be all hype and no substance.

This EB5 Scam is creating a lot of false hopes for struggling resorts in the region. Jay Peak and Burke is now managed by a bankruptcy receiver due to an EB5 scam, The Balsams now is talking EB5 as a key part of the investment strategy and now Saddleback. Not just ski areas, a certain high profile former real estate developer and his family have also abused the system.

Most likely the end of this potential owner

https://www.pressherald.com/2018/06/...ed-with-fraud/

Back to the local option

https://bangordailynews.com/2018/06/...onprofit-says/
    Last edited by peakbagger; 06-21-2018 at 07:46 PM.