Hunting in the Whites - Hunters are about.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billski

Reaction score
Luckily most hunters don't hike very far into the woods as if they do shoot anything, they have to lug it out. The whitetail population density is historically quite low in the WMNF. Nevertheless I wear orange but realize that I still in far more peril driving to and from the trailhead.

Luckily most hunters don't hike very far into the woods as if they do shoot anything, they have to lug it out. The whitetail population density is historically quite low in the WMNF. Nevertheless I wear orange but realize that I still in far more peril driving to and from the trailhead.

Maybe you need an orange car?

Hunting season doesn't bother me..I don't hunt...I usually hike established hiking trails.. But living with them and know lot's of them I can tell you.. The hunters know full well the established trails and don't use them for hunting.which is a no brainer for them..They go off to old logging roads,etc.

I owned this VW Lovebug 1972 to 1980. Orange with black trim. Wish I still had it, but not in Maine Winters cause the heater was very deficient.

VWLB.jpg

My best friend in high school had one of those. The heater heat exchanger rotted out, so when you ran the heat, it would pump exhaust directly into the cabin. We called the car "the poison gas machine."

There were TONS of cars and trucks on the sides of the roads when I was up there Sat (Rte 3, Rte 302,etc). I'd say wearing orange would be a good idea right now.

Hiking in the Sandwich wilderness area yesterday. I had an orange cap, we put an orange "scarf" on the dog. The scarf only benefitted us when we were trying to see where the dog had gone off to! Heard the booms of some muzzle loaders yesterday. Sounded like they were near Sandwich Notch Road. Today is the start of the real hunting season. It's still a good idea to wear orange. While it's true hunters stay near the roads and stay away from name brand hiking trails, there is always the newbie out to do "something different"...

Is that a Merle Sierra? He is cute and fluffy.

I'm sure you know the Zeppelin song about Plant's Blue Eyed Merle Strider. :)

Hunters tend to like the forest roads that they can drive in on a little ways. They tend to set up a tree stand about 1/2-3/4 mile from the road. That's what we have learned from running into them and talking with them. All of them whom we have met over the years have been courteous and pleasant to talk with.

Hunters tend to like the forest roads that they can drive in on a little ways. They tend to set up a tree stand about 1/2-3/4 mile from the road. That's what we have learned from running into them and talking with them. All of them whom we have met over the years have been courteous and pleasant to talk with.

It's no longer PC to shoot at hikers. ;)

I have met a hunter on a trail (in the WMNF) ~2mi from and ~1300 ft above his trailhead, so while the above may be true, they can sometimes be found much deeper into the woods.

(He was just hiking with a gun (shotgun?) in hand, not hunting at the time. IIRC, we stopped and chatted for a few moments and then headed off on our respective ways.)

Doug

My personal protocol is to wear orange hat and mesh panel on backpack starting Oct. 1, then adding orange jacket on Nov. 1. Dog always wears orange vest in fall. I have seen people put bells on their dogs and I like that idea. I have always had friendly encounters with hunters, even though I'm probably ruining their hunt for a while.