Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Passaconaway Road closed: fire

Passaconaway Road closed: fire

Both MUR and Conway Daily Sun have more info.

Basically, there is a spreading brush fire in Albany NH, right now up to 100 acres.

http://www.wmur.com/article/crews-ba...nd-day/8284826

Be careful out there.

Noticed this from Osceola summit this morning and called Conway fire department. Lots of smoke in the distance. Guy I spoke with said it was on/near Boulder Loop Trail and they had been fighting it since 4 pm Saturday.

We flew over this fire about 4 PM SUN.
    Took some great video and I would post it here if I could figure out how.
    I have it as a video file (.mov) on my computer BUT VFTT is asking for a URL. I don't have a URL for it.
    Help please.
    Last edited by JimC; 11-14-2016 at 07:57 AM.

You can't post videos to our server. You'll need to find a place online to host the video and then post a link to that URL. The easiest is to upload the video to Youtube and post the link here.
    You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself, any direction you choose. -- Dr. Seuss

Thanks Dave.

Makes sense.

Guess I'll start by obtaining a YouTube acct.

OK. Progress, I think.

https://youtu.be/pBF0e8XKumo

Let's see if this works.

Video taken flying E along the Kanc starting around the covered bridge. Flames are towards the end.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by JimC View Post
    OK. Progress, I think.

https://youtu.be/pBF0e8XKumo

Let's see if this works.

Video taken flying E along the Kanc starting around the covered bridge. Flames are towards the end.

Jim
    I can open it up fine. And, have to say, that's a bit larger than I was thinking it was. Scary.

Quote Originally Posted by dug View Post
    I can open it up fine. And, have to say, that's a bit larger than I was thinking it was. Scary.
    Yeah, that's not small.
    You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself, any direction you choose. -- Dr. Seuss

'Springtime' on the Carters (Somerville, MA)
    What is the open area right at the start of the video? I can't tell if it's ledge or slash.
    | 63.8% W48: 19/48
    Trail Adopter of the Guinea Pond Trail

Quote Originally Posted by TJsName View Post
    What is the open area right at the start of the video? I can't tell if it's ledge or slash.
    Ledges know as Sundown ledge. I've done a lot of rock climbing in there in year's past. It's really a cool area, featuring horizontal roofs that are 20 to 30 ft long. We would go there to aid climb when it was raining and all the local cliffs where wet. In regards to the size of the fire, it's actually fairly small, it's just that we are not used to forest fires. If you've lived out west during the "fire season" as I have, you wouldn't be to impressed with this fire. Given the topography and the forecast for rain, I suspect this fire could be out by the weekend. Granted, you never know what a fire will do. Regardless, it is quite interesting to watch the land come back and a walk in there next spring and summer would be most interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by sierra View Post
    In regards to the size of the fire, it's actually fairly small, it's just that we are not used to forest fires. If you've lived out west during the "fire season" as I have
    And I. Las Conchas burned 100 acres in less than two minutes.

If you've lived out west during the "fire season" as I have, you wouldn't be to impressed with this fire. Given the topography and the forecast for rain, I suspect this fire could be out by the weekend. Granted, you never know what a fire will do. Regardless, it is quite interesting to watch the land come back and a walk in there next spring and summer would be most interesting.
    Yes, correct. I'm not comparing it to a fire out west, I'm comparing it to a fire in the WMNF.

Quote Originally Posted by dug View Post
    Yes, correct. I'm not comparing it to a fire out west, I'm comparing it to a fire in the WMNF.
    Fair enough.

'Springtime' on the Carters (Somerville, MA)
    Ledges know as Sundown ledge. I've done a lot of rock climbing in there in year's past. It's really a cool area, featuring horizontal roofs that are 20 to 30 ft long. We would go there to aid climb when it was raining and all the local cliffs where wet.
    Neato - it's one of those places I've yet to visit.

In regards to the size of the fire, it's actually fairly small, it's just that we are not used to forest fires. If you've lived out west during the "fire season" as I have, you wouldn't be to impressed with this fire. Given the topography and the forecast for rain, I suspect this fire could be out by the weekend. Granted, you never know what a fire will do. Regardless, it is quite interesting to watch the land come back and a walk in there next spring and summer would be most interesting.
    Looks like it's just a brush fire mostly - eating away at the underbrush as opposed to whole trees going up. I suspect it would take a large confluence of factors for that to happen.
    | 63.8% W48: 19/48
    Trail Adopter of the Guinea Pond Trail

Fair enough.

Ha, didn't mean it that way. Just for me, close to home, haven't seen this before.