Maine/NH Road Status

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adventurous

Reaction score
I'm looking to hike some of the NEHH next week and was wondering if anyone knows the current status of the following roads:

Success Pond Road to the Goose Eye trailhead

Wiggle Brook Road...wondering if it's plowed or if I'd have to hike it to get to Snow Cup.

Stratton Brook Pond Road to the Bigelows - can you get to the summer trailhead and if not, how far back do you have to park?

Thanks!!

Last year, being a light snow year, we were able to drive Stratton Brook Road to the AT crossing. Beyond that, it was posted "snowmobiles only". We did so in a Jeep and a Subaru Forester. It saves 3/4 mile walking in each direction, however, we had to help dig out a car blocking our progress and in the end would have gotten there much faster by walking (wouldn't have had a shovel to help dig him out, so probably didn't need to offer.)

Given the current snowfall amounts, I expect there is a snowbank right at route 27 (small parking area plowed at the start of Stratton Brook Road) making it impossible to get past.

Tim

There's a Forest Ranger Station on rt. 16 in Oqussoc I think it is and they might be able to tell you if Wiggle Brook Road is plowed. It's only plowed in connection with logging operations.

There was post a few years ago that the US border patrol in Rangeley should be contacted prior to attempting the peaks near the US boundary. I believe this party of hikers/skiers got stopped twice by Border Patrol well inside the US border as the Border Patrol assumed they were traffickers or folks entering the US illegally. They keep track of what is going on in the area. I expect they keep very close track of what roads are open or closed so it might be worth a polite call explaining you intended itinerary and possible approaches. I expect its hit or miss who you get on the phone but you may get some good info and avoid being stopped.

Success Pond Road is open and is usually in better shape than in summer...Goose Eye trail not too popular in winter so I know you will be prepared!! Have a great hike!!

Thanks for the update!! I tried to get to Goose Eye two years ago but the road was a sheet of ice and we turned around after a couple miles. We're prepared for the hike - we have quite a bit of experience with remote/seldom traveled peaks.

Evidently, you can also access the Wright trail for Goose Eye this winter. There is a recent TR on NETC stating that the road is plowed all the way to the trail head on Bull Branch Rd. They must be logging in there this winter.

Evidently, you can also access the Wright trail for Goose Eye this winter. There is a recent TR on NETC stating that the road is plowed all the way to the trail head on Bull Branch Rd. They must be logging in there this winter.

I was going to suggest this route as IMHO its the finest approach to GE but may not be well broken out and there are some twists near the scrub line that could be tough to navigate if you haven't been there before.

Checked out Success Pond Rd today...it is icy with frozen ruts and frozen potholes...maybe as rough a drive as in non winter!! needed to put Tacoma into 4 wheel drive to get up the first hill on the way in and the way out...other than that no issues, had to keep the speed below 25...GE/CC trailhead not plowed out but road is wide enough to park on the side...appeared to be no activity on the trail...and who knows with whatever weather is coming in...

Heavy rain overnight so not sure what you'd get....probably an ice sheet again...wish I could check for u today but unable to...

Sure sounds like studded tires or chains are the ticket in the current conditions. I expect the forecast snow may help a bit once it consolidates but on the other hand it just may make getting stuck far more likely.