Hiker dies on Bondcliff Christmas Eve

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Terrible tragedy for him and his loved ones. Only 26 and with adequate gear for a hike, perhaps it was an issue of losing traction.

According to a report on FB, looks like he died of hypothermia. The Rangers ended up spending time in a emergency shelter, facing sub-zero wind chills themselves.

News interview with NH F&G said there was strong indication of hypothermia. Hiker was putting on clothes but some of it was on backwards/unzipped.

When driving south over Pinkham Notch and down to Portland early Christmas morning, I saw signs of heavy winds the previous night and it was quite windy going up and over Pinkham.

I personally have been caught upprepared coming out of the woods to the Bondcliff summit in winter conditions, the approach via the old logging dugway is pretty well sheltered and soon after the cliff section the exposure changes radically.

Hmm, I was misled by the phrase "experienced hiker and adequate equipment" in the initial report.

The deceased could have been experienced and had adequate equipment and still been caught by hypothermia. Its insidious, and can sneak up quick. Many particularly physically fit folks can keep up a good hiking pace and end up with minimal gear on as they are generating enough heat that they don't need much gear on. Once out of the woods on Bondcliff, there is zero cover, if you don't gear up in the woods in advance of breaking treeline in high winds, getting additional gear on is very difficult. In cold weather the first thing lost with hypothermia is clear thinking followed quickly by loss of control of the extremities. A hiker can have a pack full of warm gear but if they cant open the pack because they cant open the buckles, that gear is useless. I and many others carry gear in ziplock bags inside the pack. In extreme conditions (high winds and cold) I have gone from warm to unable to open a ziplock bag due to loss of dexterity in less than 5 minutes, I ended up having to tear the ziplock bag open with my teeth. Putting on a jacket in high winds and cold can be quite a challenge if not impossible and with the claimed 10 to 15 degree below temps and high winds I expect that it was just a matter of minutes before a few missed tries turns into a survival situation. I expect a driver in this situation is that the hiker was probably working on a list and had just hiked for several hours getting just short of the summit, in what was pretty good winter hiking conditions (minimal snow). I expect the temptation is to go that last 1/4 of mile to check off the summit rather than coming back another time was high. Add in mild hypothermia and its a dangerous combination.

Generally solo winter hiking introduces additional risk to an inherently risky sport, it can be managed like other winter risks. A Fish and Game official at one point made a blanket statement that solo winter hiking was inherently reckless. I don't agree I personally solo winter hike but get decidedly conservative. I know of a few times where I have had to help another hiker and have been helped by another individual when I have been unable to get gear on. One of my standard comments on what constitutes a hiking partner versus someone I am hiking with is that a hiking partner is someone who I have hiked with and we both mutually agreed to turn around short of summit.

Last edited:
The deceased could have been experienced and had adequate equipment and still been caught by hypothermia. Its insidious, and can sneak up quick. Many particularly physically fit folks can keep up a good hiking pace and end up with minimal gear on as they generating enough heat that they don't need much gear on. Once out of the woods on Bondcliff, there is zero cover, if you don't gear up in the woods in advance of breaking treeline in high winds, getting additional gear on is very difficult. In cold weather the first thing lost with hypothermia is clear thinking followed quickly by loss of control of the extremities. A hiker can have a pack full of warm gear but if they cant open the pack because they cant open the buckles, that gear is useless. I and many others carry gear in ziplock bags inside the pack. In extreme conditions (high winds and cold) I have gone from warm to unable to open a ziplock bag due to loss of dexterity in less than 5 minutes, I ended up having to tear the ziplock bag open with my teeth. Putting on a jacket in high winds and cold can be quite a challenge if not impossible and with the claimed 10 to 15 degree below temps and high winds I expect that it was just a matter of minutes before a few missed tries turns into a survival situation. I expect a driver in this situation is that the hiker was probably working on a list and had just hiked for several hours getting just short of the summit, in what was pretty good winter hiking conditions (minimal snow). I expect the temptation is to go that last 1/4 of mile to check off the summit rather than coming back another time was high. Add in mild hypothermia and its a dangerous combination.

Generally solo winter hiking introduces additional risk to an inherently risky sport, it can be managed like other winter risks. A Fish and Game official at one point made a blanket statement that solo winter hiking was inherently reckless. I don't agree I personally solo winter hike but get decidedly conservative. I know of a few times where I have had to help another hiker and have been helped by another individual when I have been unable to get gear on. One of my standard comments on what constitutes a hiking partner versus someone I am hiking with is that a hiking partner is someone who I have hiked with and we both mutually agreed to turn around short of summit.

This. It should be posted on a sign at the trailheads in the winter.

I'm solo 99.999% of the time. It's the only time in my existence on this planet that I would be happy to be characterized as "conservative."

News interview with NH F&G said there was strong indication of hypothermia.

I generate a lot of heat while trudging along in winter, often in only a base layer. As soon as I stop I get cold due to a drying sweat.

I carry a couple of extra wicking Tees and change into a dry one at the summit. They weigh next to nothing and provide instant warmth and gratification!

I think it was Arm who clued me into this.

cb

and still been caught by hypothermia. Its insidious, and can sneak up quick.

Generally solo winter hiking introduces additional risk to an inherently risky sport, it can be managed like other winter risks.

It is truly stunning how quickly the chills and the shakes can set in. I distinctly remember several years ago doing the Castle Ravine trail on a day where it was maybe mid 40's with 20 mph winds at Edmands Col. As I was coming up the headwall it started raining lightly and I figured I'd wait until I got to trail junction to add a layer. I was perfectly comfortable but a little wet from sweat and rain. As I crested ridge and walked to trail junction exposed to the wind I'd say it literally took me 60 seconds to go from comfortable to uncontrollable shivering. I actually had to crouch down behind a large rock to get in my pack and pull out a jacket, hat and gloves. I specifically remember how hard it was to use my hands. That was a profound learning experience for me. I almost always wear some sort of gloves, even in warm weather, and err on the side of too many layers when I go out now and always try to predict what I should wear versus reacting to the conditions.

And as someone who hikes alone I also wholeheartedly agree that it is not reckless. I see plenty of incident reports where groups make the same mistakes collectively that a solo hiker can make. It many case I think being in a group is worse (peer pressure, relying on a strong person who gets compromised, etc). There is the obvious potential issue of becoming incapacitated alone and being at more risk than if you're in a group but beyond that bad judgement is bad judgement. Alone or in a group, how you manage expectations and assess the conditions is the biggest contributor to getting in trouble.

The deceased could have been experienced and had adequate equipment and still been caught by hypothermia. Its insidious, and can sneak up quick. Many particularly physically fit folks can keep up a good hiking pace and end up with minimal gear on as they are generating enough heat that they don't need much gear on. Once out of the woods on Bondcliff, there is zero cover, if you don't gear up in the woods in advance of breaking treeline in high winds, getting additional gear on is very difficult. In cold weather the first thing lost with hypothermia is clear thinking followed quickly by loss of control of the extremities. A hiker can have a pack full of warm gear but if they cant open the pack because they cant open the buckles, that gear is useless. I and many others carry gear in ziplock bags inside the pack. In extreme conditions (high winds and cold) I have gone from warm to unable to open a ziplock bag due to loss of dexterity in less than 5 minutes, I ended up having to tear the ziplock bag open with my teeth. Putting on a jacket in high winds and cold can be quite a challenge if not impossible and with the claimed 10 to 15 degree below temps and high winds I expect that it was just a matter of minutes before a few missed tries turns into a survival situation. I expect a driver in this situation is that the hiker was probably working on a list and had just hiked for several hours getting just short of the summit, in what was pretty good winter hiking conditions (minimal snow). I expect the temptation is to go that last 1/4 of mile to check off the summit rather than coming back another time was high. Add in mild hypothermia and its a dangerous combination.

I won't engage in a debate about the meaning of "experienced", but no one would disagree that hypothermia is a significant risk that should be mitigated before and during hiking with adequate gear and training/learning.

I had speculated about a fall and injury in a slippery, rocky, open and windy location... I have not kept up with the news, admittedly.

My (limited) experience has taught me to apply extra caution for

Warm days, sudden temperature drops.. Or thermal inversions
High deserts versus time of day, elevation
Pelting rain freezing to ice...bad dwr or shell and frozen poly layer.
The possibility of being immobilized by a fall on ice.
Rain/ice outside as moisture builds in a bivy bag with a down sleeping bag.

I've solo'ed in relatively benign conditions and places and experienced frost nip and felt a possible onset of hypothermia and let that be a lesson to me, especially when I led groups or hiked in more dangerous places. I, too, follow the minimalist layering approach as I often overheat but am quick to add layers once exposed or stopped for any length of time.

SAR cases over the years show that some of the most fit, marathoners etc. with low body fat, and experienced have some of the most tragic outcomes. That body fat offers a reserve of energy as well as some additional insulation while the fitness and experience may lend some overconfidence under certain conditions.

The year I nearly finished the W48 I was turned back four times at Bondcliff.....and had to wait until the next winter to finish up.

Prayers to his family, so sad - hoping he didn't suffer very long up there :-(

Generally solo winter hiking introduces additional risk to an inherently risky sport, it can be managed like other winter risks.

I also solo hike 99.99% of the time. I think that many years of experience solo winter hiking makes one more conservative in their estimation of the task of survival and enjoyment of the winter season. I find that as I get older, I am even more conservative than I would have been when I was young. I don't know how other people do it, but every half hour (maybe even less, depending on conditions), I conduct a check-in with myself. Are my feet warm? Fingers warm? Am I hungry? What do I want to eat? Layers okay? Drink some hot Gatorade. Am I happy with my traction? Where am I on the map? Are the conditions suitable enough for me to continue? What is the weather doing? I also carry enough gear to spend an unplanned night if necessary.

A SOLO instructor once taught our class that the most important thing you bring on a hike is your brain. Time and again that has proven to be true. This fellow could have been carrying the same exact gear that any of us winter soloists carry. Unfortunately, he didn't act in time to keep the conditions from claiming him.

A SOLO instructor once taught our class that the most important thing you bring on a hike is your brain.

Bad judgement is the great equalizer. Gear, fitness level, experience, group size, etc can all be irrelevant in the face of a stupid decision.

Hiker's death

The year I nearly finished the W48 I was turned back four times at Bondcliff.....and had to wait until the next winter to finish up.

Unadogger, you are a very smart hiker (I was just able to finish on Monroe on 1st day of winter after being denied last year).

My understanding is that hypothermia is like falling asleep. Deadly, but if it comes on quick, relatively painless.

Year's ago in my head strong youth, my hikes were basically all out pushes to summit regardless of conditions. One day in early spring, we were breaking out the Desolation trail on a drizzly cold day through deep snow, basically a suffer fest. One of my group was lagging, but I continued on. Then he lagged some more, I stopped turned and went back to check on him. His lips were blue and he was shivering like crazy. We immediately descending to the Desolation shelter. I stripped him, got him in dry clothes and stuffed him in a bag and commenced to boiling water. Some soup, dry clothes and an hour later he was fit to go. It can happen fast if your not monitoring yourself and your team. The guilt and lesson's I learned that day as we walked out on the Wilderness trail, never left me. As a soloist, I'm constantly monitoring condition's, weather and my bodies well being at all times. In spite of the gear I carry, Ill bag a trip in a minute if any of the three are compromised. Thinking of this poor kid brought this memory back, wish I could have been there to help him. Condolences to his family.

A few more details from the Boston Globe Story:

While officials will never know for sure, Kneeland said it is likely Holden had made it all the way out to the far point of his trek (West Bond) and was on his way back when he got into trouble. Holden had likely gotten wetter and wetter as the day wore on, Kneeland said. As darkness fell along with the temperature, hypothermia probably set in, he said, though the cause of death will be determined by an autopsy.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...e-mountains/GpSjIDMoAP09hVOMlcbWlO/story.html

The ridge between Bond and Bondcliff always makes me a bit nervous and I will only head there with the best of forecasts. I hate having my escape route so exposed and try not to be in a situation where I have to decide between hunkering down for the long haul in worsening weather versus getting hammered across that ridge in attempts to get out before the worst of the weather arrives.

Soaked layers kill. Water conducts heat 25 times faster than air. I never allow myself more than a damp back. I adjust my pace, sometimes to a slow slug, and if I can't make my objective because of that, so be it. It's part of the game and I file it right along 80mph winds and whiteouts. Staying dry is a requirement for safe winter hiking.