This forecast brought to you by the Snow Sports Industry 12 to 18" ;)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
Curious, Holiday week snowstorm with perfect timing for the holiday weekend. Current forecast for NW Maine and Northern NH 12 to 18" plus ending sometimes around Friday noon. Other forecasters are going for 12 plus. Could be heavy rain down near the coast

Hahahaha There is a rich tradition of snowfall amount exaggeration. "The snow was once up to the powerlines!"

One time though, we actually did get an absolutely ludicrous, record-shattering 48 inches of snow in one storm. I was living in Wilmington Vermont in Feb of 2010. It just never stopped snowing. I kept measuring every few hours and the storm totalled out at a whopping 48 inches. My plow bill for that one storm was almost $300.

I believe a long term VFTT member commented once that he would burn in h*ll for his stint working for a ski area reporting snow depths. ;)

Not to worry, even if they do not get as much as predicted, many slopes will report that they did!

I think the ski resort snow model is the inverse of predicting the actual wind speed hikers say they are in: (Estimated Wind Speed/2.5) -8 = Actual Wind Speed. Ski Resort snow totals: (Actual Snow Fall * 2.5) + 8 = Reported Snow Totals :)

I haven't been out to measure snow yet but it looks like the storm stayed slightly east of the predicted track. Pinkham was reporting 10.3 inches. Looks like Pleasant Mountain in Maine probably got the biggest totals. Still plenty to play with. Hope all the early birds get out with their snowshoes and form a nice track.

I started plowing my road out at 0300. Mostly done now at 0740. Measured 22 inches in a wind shaded part of my driveway. Location: Wilton, Maine 04227

I started plowing my road out at 0300. Mostly done now at 0740. Measured 22 inches in a wind shaded part of my driveway. Location: Wilton, Maine 04227

Thanks for posting. Stuff like this is what makes VFTT great! For what its worth. It rained mostly down here. We have 1-1.5" of frozen formerly damp snow here in Waltham MA. Clear and sunny day will soften it up as day goes on.

Last edited:
People headed up route 16 are going to see more snow along the ride up than in the mountains. 12 in Roch-cha-cha, 15 in Wakefield, Ossippee and Milton close to 18.

People headed up route 16 are going to see more snow along the ride up than in the mountains. 12 in Roch-cha-cha, 15 in Wakefield, Ossippee and Milton close to 18.

Milton spot on at 18. And lovin' every lovin' inch of it! :D

The jackpot runs northeast from us into Maine, with many places over there reporting > 24 inches.