Ski Trail On Mt Washington?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DayTrip

Reaction score
I did Monroe/Washington yesterday and while stopped having a snack at the LOC hut I noticed a distinct white line cutting across the base of the summit cone on the level from roughly Crawford Path out and around out of view. It was well below where West Side trail is located. I don't recall seeing it when I went up/down cone but it was a very noticeable thin white track that had to be an artificial feature. I'm curious if that was a ski route of some sort where skiers cut over to some good terrain maybe?. At least half the people I saw yesterday were carrying skis and/or snowboards. I suppose it could have been a trick of the eye but it seemed too long, straight and continuous to be an illusion or natural feature. It really seemed to be a trail of some sort.

Anyone know if that is a ski route? Just curious.

I think you can assume that any line above treeline that leads in the direction of a skier's destination is a "ski route." There is no incentive to stay on a summer route, i.e. following the cairns, if the visibility is good and the snow cover is adequate to float you over most of the terrain obstacles.

There are lots of skiable destinations in the area, and skiers generally take the most direct line possible when traversing to avoid losing skiable elevation.

Thanks. I didn't realize how much skiing is done up there. There were even several tracks across the big snow field that fills in under Monroe's summit. Always thought it was confined to the ravines because of snow conditions. It must be worth it. I was passed close to 3PM (roughly 3500') by two people heading up with skis on and clearly no overnight gear so I guess they were going through all the effort to catch one nice sunset run.

Monroe snowfields and any steep you can reach from that area does draw some traffic from some well-seasoned skiers. It's also possible they were camping in Gulf of Slides, Dry River, etc. and are heading back down there for the night. I met someone once doing that exact trip.

Long way to go for a run...but what a run. That's why they call it "earning your turns".

Plus, sure beats walking all that way out!

Thanks. I didn't realize how much skiing is done up there.

I had a similar thought my first time up there too. I thought people generally stuck to Tuckerman and Gulf of Slides, but then I saw people skiing down Monroe Brook and into Oakes Gulf, as well has people skiing off the summit.

I had a similar thought my first time up there too. I thought people generally stuck to Tuckerman and Gulf of Slides, but then I saw people skiing down Monroe Brook and into Oakes Gulf, as well has people skiing off the summit.

And there's a bunch more than that. :)