Oops - Car Stuck on Jefferson Notch Road

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.nh1.com/news/4-adults-rescued-from-ditch-off-jefferson-notch-road-in-gorham/

I expect the gates were left open to allow snowmachine traffic. In past years the road has been drivable to the Caps Ridge Trail due to lack of snow. They lucked out that F&G arranged to get a groomer to pull them out as if they had to pay a commercial service with the equipment to pull them out I expect the bill would be lot higher and taken a lot longer. The gates usually get closed once the snowmachines stop running in the spring to save the road during mud season.

Its been happening for years. One year we hiked up Sawyer River road in late winter. When we got to the old Signal Ridge trailhead there was a truck parked there despite a couple of feet of snow. It appears they had driven in on top of the crust. We were camping overnight so the next day we came out later on a nice warm day and we followed the truck tracks out. We never saw the truck but apparently the crust had softened and the truck was punching through the crust quite often. It was the worse where they had to turn the truck around at the trailhead. We would see spots about every 200 feet where there would be evidence of extensive digging and wheel spinning trying to get the truck back on top of the crust as otherwise they were sitting on their frame rails. I expect it took them hours to get out.

Aye, peakbagger, that's the great improvement from 4WD vehicles: they help us get much more stuck much further from help than we could back when all we had was 2WD rigs.
Ah, Progress!

A few years ago, in the spring, I helped a member of this site retrieve his car from the place he had abandoned it after driving it up on hard packed snow on the CVR in mid winter. It remained there for a very long time after punching through the snow surface. It survived this long sitting without any vandalism. When we got there after driving up from Holderness we discovered that snowmobilers using CVR had apparently picked it up and physically moved it off the main snowmobile thoroughfare sometime during the winter. I notice that has been silent here since 2014.

Last edited:
Had to check the pic to see if they were the same folks who recently drove several miles on a snowmobile trail, almost making it to Baxter's southern gatehouse. Different car. Same result.