If you had 3 days in the Grand Canyon & Sedona, what would be your MUST DO's?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

una_dogger

Reaction score
MichaelJ and I are heading to Sedona AZ in the beginning of March!

We have 3 FULL DAYS to explore, and hope to spend the first two at the Grand Canyon (South Rim) and the third in Sedona.

Looking for tips from those who have been before, what are your two MUST DO day hikes in the Grand Canyon and what is your MUST DO 1 hike in Sedona. (some criteria -- 12 miles or so, would like some time before and after for nice breakfast and nice dinners -- we are based in Sedona and will be driving back and forth to GC each day)

Also, please rate:

-best coffee in Sedona and/or Flagstaff
-best southwestern cuisine
-best overall restaurant in Sedona/Flagstaff

Discuss!:D

...Looking for tips from those who have been before, what are your two MUST DO day hikes in the Grand Canyon...

Here are three options:

1) Bright Angel Trail to Plateau Point. Plateau Point is one of the most beautiful places I've ever been. 360 degrees of wow.

IMG_3967_edited-1-M.jpg

IMG_3970_edited-1-M.jpg

2) South Kaibab Trail to The Tipoff or maybe even a bit farther.

IMG_3840_edited-1-M.jpg

IMG_3848_edited-1-M.jpg

3) Grandview Trail to (and around) Horseshoe Mesa

IMG_3539_edited-1-M.jpg

IMG_3558_edited-1-M.jpg

March, awesome time to go. Awesome weather, less crowded trails.
Bring your spikes, probably snowy/icy at and just below the rim. Call ahead to Backcountry Office to check conditions.
Suggest calling ahead to the Backcountry Office to find out if/where the water is flowing on Bright Angel and Grandview (none on South Kaibab). Suggest caching water halfway down for your return trip up.
Suggest sunscreen and sun hat, even if it's cold on the rim. It gets hot quickly as you drop into the canyon.
You've got a long commute each day....but try to sneak in one sunset or sunrise, totally worth the loss of sleep.

Have fun. Please post photos.

Way too little time to enjoy that area but it's a start! Be aware that snow and ice can remain in spots and can be quite hazardous; barebooting across even a short patch stimulates adrenaline as you look below. The easiest classic hike is the Rim Trail (about 11 miles), partially paved in popular short sections but a complete hike gives a great overview and views of the Canyon, passes several historic or other attractions worth a browse and, with the bus shuttle service, can be done in disregard of a car spot. Billy has great dayhike selections but the Phantom ranch is still something I dream about.

My experience was more at the North Rim (closed in winter and certainly not appropriate for this trip), less busy in the summer and at 1000 ft. higher elevation, cooler. I've always thought a north to south rim to rim would be the way to go.

My approach to "MUST DO" hikes is to skim the guides and maps and pick out the features that most appeal to you ... you can't go far wrong in the Grand Canyon as all views defy imagination.

I know that you say that you're based in Sedona but my recommendation -- if you never been to/in the Grand Canyon -- would be to hike down from the rim on the South Kaibab Trail to Phantom Ranch (~7 miles) at the canyon bottom, stay the night there (foregoing an evening in Sedona), and take Bright Angel Trail (~8 miles) up the next day.

While at Phantom Ranch, stay in one of the small cabins (should be easy to get at that time of year without too much hassle), and explore the canyon along the North Rim Trail. Your meals are part of a package deal with the cabin rental. And yes, the Phantom Ranch has beer/wine.

The Grand Canyon is just too incredible to not spend some time down at the bottom of it.

If you're considering this option, let me know, and I can give you more specifics about distances, elevation gain, what to bring for time of year, etc.

We only have time for a quick Grand Canyon "primer" trip now.

No cabins available for any of our dates, rep said they book 13 months in advance - there is actually only one single male dorm bunk at Phantom Ranch available now on our travel dates ;-), I think we will stick with our Sedona suite this time around LOL

I LOVE the idea and when we take our Tour De Canyons longer trip out West, staying at one of the cabins is going to be part of the plan. Thank you!

I don't have my GC map in front of me (you want the Sky Terrain one), but it's possible to go down South Kaibab, Tonto trail across, up Bright Angel. No water until you get back to Indian Gardens on BA, and the other taps on BA will be off in March. See this and this. You can close the loop on the rim trail, I think about 4 miles, or use the free shuttles. This is sort of turning into "the" dayhike and it's probably nicer than rim to river to rim (although knowing your fitness levels, I wouldn't necessarily rule out rim to river to rim.)

Food: I haven't been to a bad place in Flag, nor have I sampled everyplace. Swaddee Thai was lunch the day before I did R2R2R and I didn't regret. You can just walk up Aspen and see what strikes your fancy. When I was there for a running camp, Greg McMillan brought us to Pizzicletta (good, run by a friend of his) and then Josephine's for brunch. Those are both more quality than quantity kinds of places.

No cabins available for any of our dates, rep said they book 13 months in advance - there is actually only one single male dorm bunk at Phantom Ranch available now on our travel dates ;-), I think we will stick with our Sedona suite this time around LOL

I LOVE the idea and when we take our Tour De Canyons longer trip out West, staying at one of the cabins is going to be part of the plan. Thank you!

Important tip (don't tell anyone...;) : there is a 48 hour cancellation for free policy at the GC lodges (30 days for Phantom Ranch so that is harder). Many times there is an opening if you are flexible and call a couple times in that window. Don't try online, it won't show up, you have to call. The GC lodging folks are really helpful with that. We scored an amazing North Rim cabin that way a couple years ago.

Conversation: "There's no availability for those dates.... wait, are you local?" "Sort of." "Are you flexible?" "Yes." "OK, call two days before and there's a really good chance you can get in. All the people from Europe and China make all these reservations, then cancel."

That's a lot of driving

we are based in Sedona and will be driving back and forth to GC each day)

While it's a nice drive from Sedona to the Canyon, it's 2 hours each way. Personally I'd pick one location or the other and spend the time outdoors rather than looking out the windshield.

The GC day hikes suggested above are all good ideas. Check out the mileage / elevation gain and pick one that suits you. Trails generally have better footing and are less steep than White Mountain 4K trails ... but they have little shade and the sun/heat can be brutal depending on the day.

I've done 3 or 4 hikes in the Sedona area, but none that I'd go out of my way to do again. West Fork of Oak Creek is nice and very popular (but you may be less impressed than the locals by the trees and running water!)

Have a great trip!

I know that you say that you're based in Sedona but my recommendation -- if you never been to/in the Grand Canyon -- would be to hike down from the rim on the South Kaibab Trail to Phantom Ranch (~7 miles) at the canyon bottom, stay the night there (foregoing an evening in Sedona), and take Bright Angel Trail (~8 miles) up the next day.
I did this as a kid with my family. It's a nice 2-day hike...

There is a campground at the bottom close to Phantom Ranch, so you can do it without staying at Phantom. (I think you may require reservations at the campground, but they should be much easier to get.)

You can also do this as a day hike but it might be a bit long--18mi and 5K vert ft IIRC.

As others have noted, the weather and trail conditions on/near the S Rim can be wintery in early March (but much warmer near the canyon bottom). I saw ice/snow in the bushes (fortunately not on the trail) in March.

Doug

Important tip (don't tell anyone...;) : there is a 48 hour cancellation for free policy at the GC lodges (30 days for Phantom Ranch so that is harder). Many times there is an opening if you are flexible and call a couple times in that window. Don't try online, it won't show up, you have to call. The GC lodging folks are really helpful with that. We scored an amazing North Rim cabin that way a couple years ago.

True. We've benefited from last-minute cancellations there a couple of times, once getting a cabin right on the South Rim.

Sedona: Hangover Trail!! :D

I don't have my GC map in front of me (you want the Sky Terrain one), but it's possible to go down South Kaibab, Tonto trail across, up Bright Angel. No water until you get back to Indian Gardens on BA, and the other taps on BA will be off in March. See this and this. You can close the loop on the rim trail, I think about 4 miles, or use the free shuttles. This is sort of turning into "the" dayhike and it's probably nicer than rim to river to rim (although knowing your fitness levels, I wouldn't necessarily rule out rim to river to rim.)
I did this hike with a side trip out to Plateau Point. A nice route that gets you away from the corridor trails.

FWIW, it was below freezing while I was waiting for the shuttle before dawn (watched the sunrise from Yaki Point*) and ~80F (plus the desert sun...) down on the Tonto Plateau in March. I waited in the shade at Indian Gardens til ~3pm to increase the shade on the hike out, reaching the rim at sunset.

* BTW, back then you couldn't drive out to Yaki Point**, but you could park at a picnic area on Rte 64 at the junction with Yaki Point Rd. I wouldn't be surprised if this is still in effect. (I chose to park near the S Bright Angel TH and take the pre-dawn shuttle over to S Kaibab TH on Yaki Point. If you do this, scout out the roads the day before--it was very dark and confusing in the pre-dawn hours.)
** But you could walk out to Yaki Point.

Even if all you do is drive to the viewpoints on the S Rim and/or walk the S Rim trail, you will be impressed. However I'd suggest that you add at least one moderate hike down one or more of the trails***--it is also very impressive (and different) from within.
*** Bright Angel to Indian Gardens or better yet Plateau Point or S Kaibab as far as you wish to go are both good options. Bright Angel is in a side canyon down to Indian Gardens while S Kaibab follows a ridge and will have good views the whole way.

And yes, bring lots of water... (Electrolyte mix is advisable too.)

Doug

Last edited:
Humphrey's Peak is nice, and the TH starts at a downhill ski area if you are so inclined. Closer than the GC.

Walnut Canyon NM has some nice Indian cliff dwellings, just outside of Flagstaff.

We have 3 FULL DAYS to explore, and hope to spend the first two at the Grand Canyon (South Rim) and the third in Sedona.

Looking for tips from those who have been before, what are your two MUST DO day hikes in the Grand Canyon and what is your MUST DO 1 hike in Sedona. (some criteria -- 12 miles or so, would like some time before and after for nice breakfast and nice dinners -- we are based in Sedona and will be driving back and forth to GC each day)

Also, please rate:

-best coffee in Sedona and/or Flagstaff
-best southwestern cuisine
-best overall restaurant in Sedona/Flagstaff

Instead of driving back and forth from Sedona, I would rent a 4 x 4 or high clearance vehicle, and drive off into the woods onto some fire road in Kaibab National forest on 180 and camp between some pine trees. A 12V water immersion heater is useful. You could always use FedEx ground shipping to a 24/7 FedEx Depot for overnight stuff if your bags are full. It's cheaper than extra bag fees and you won't have to worry about lost baggage.

Fearlessly or foolishly, I flew into Vegas, bribed the Alamo guy to find a real 4x4, and camped in the Mojave, Afton Canyon, along Route 66, looping back east to Kaibab along I40 and all the way over to Canyon Diablo (staying outside of the 'res), only staying at a hotel twice before returning via the northern route.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5313083.pdf

Wow, you are getting some great recommendations re hikes Una-dogger.

My only comment relates to potential trail condx...

My wife and I were at the South Rim in May, and at 6,000 feet it was cold. We were camping and had sleet and snow on two days out of 4.

The trails were a combo of icy slush and slippery wet clay. Most interesting!!

I definitely would bring traction and poles along in early March and hope for mild wx. There are places on Bright Angel just over the rim where you do NOT want to slip.

The rangers are quite good at providing info about what is and is not doable.

cb

There's been little discussion about cuisine. While this is Arizona, the official state question of New Mexico is "Red or green?". The color of the chile sauce can apply to any meal, from fried eggs to tacos. Start by responding, "Christmas". You'll get both, one on each side of your meal. Decide which you like, and you're good for the rest of your trip! Neither is hotter than the other. They're just different.

We stayed in a condo in Sedona & with teens did not get out much to experience the cuisine. Three days is a short time to include two RT drives to the Grand Canyon. We were unable to book a tour and it worked out great. We got to the South Rim around noon and stayed until the sunset. We had small showers that crossed the canyon and nearby T-storms that created a dramatic sunset. I'd say you want to see either a sunrise or a sunset.

We were there in August & as the first riser, I hiked most mornings for a short hike and then would be back before nine. Unsure what the March temps mid-day are expected. (we did go to a restaurant recommended by the guide we had for the Mongollon Rim jeep tour, I will see if I can get the name & will reply again.) Early morning hikes had the benefit of taking place the same time as the Hot Air Balloon rides so each morning my shots often had 2-4 brightly colored balloons. A ride during daylight through Oak Creek Canyon is a must too. (the scenic view on top is nice but actually looks a lot like home as it is high enough to be in the Ponderosa Pine forest instead of the Red Rocks which we are not familiar with)

There was a trail that linked two of my favorite hikes & they have familiar names, Sugarloaf and Little Sugarloaf. (4911 and 4872 but you start near 4400) They offer great views of Coffee Pot Rock, the Chimney and much of the other local rocks.

PM me and I can share some of the photos.20160809_191824.jpg Will see if I can upload a Canyon near sunset pic and one from Sedona/
20160811_185540.jpg

It's pretty bleak between the two locations, especially at night.

If in Flagstaff, Sunset Crater allows you to climb over hike over lava which may be something you've never done before.

IMG_6633.jpg

The restaurant that was recommended to us by our Jeep Tour guide was Creekside: http://creeksidesedona.com/