Tripoli Road in wnter

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LavaFalls

Reaction score
How far do they plow Tripoli Road in winter? Do they go as far as the Tecumseh trailhead?

Lavafalls

Livermore Depot from Waterville Valley. To the gate from the west. It is a snowmobile corridor from the west to the height-of-land. East of that, WVV grooms it for XC skiing. The road is an easy walk as a result, if you want to do the backside of Tecumseh; although, that part of the trail gets minimal use in winter.

No they don't plow it except to access the homes on private land neat the interstate. The vast majority of folks do Tecumseh via the trail adjacent to the ski area. Just park in the skier lots, follow the skiers to the base lodge and then head right as you are facing the base lodge, the trailhead is pretty obvious.

As others said, the most common approach for Tecumseh in winter in the Tecumseh trail from the ski area. Parking is free too. In the winter it's a nice route, better than it is when not snow covered. I agree, when not snow covered the Tecumseh trail from Tripoli Road is the nicer hike.

But both Mt. Tecumseh and Mt. Osceola Trails from Tripoli Road are wonderful winter hikes if you’re up for the extra mileage and solitude. By doing the Osceolas from Tripoli Road, one can also avoid the oftentimes icy luge run coming up from Greeley Ponds Trail. Still have to negotiate the steeps between the peaks though!

Doing this loop is long day. Stinkyfeet did such a loop of Tecumseh some years bck whose report inspired me to try doing the Tecumseh loop. She did it CCW and I did it CW. Both of us employed BW from trail to T Road. It is doable if you're comfortable traveling off trail and snow conditions will permit. I did mine by accident. I came off the summit thinking I was on the summit loop and check of GPS revealed I was well down trail heading towards W Tecumseh. Rather than hump back up steeps to summit I opted to continue on and do the loop and did BW back from T Road to trail. That side of mountain doesn't get much traffic, but you might encounter monorail under the snow so trail breaking is not going to be as bad as pure trail breaking. The road walk is long and boring slog.