I'm so excited!!!! Hiked Moriah today and only have 4 of the AMC 4000 footers to go

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sematary

Reaction score
It's been a LONG time coming but I know this is the year. I hiked my first 2 of the 4000 footers in 1993. I followed that up with 5 in 1994, 2 in 1995 and 12 in 1996. I had to leave Maine that year to find work and didn't return again to the White Mountains (or hiking for that matter) until 2012. Up to that point I had completed 21 of the 4000 footers. In 2012, while I did a fair amount of hiking, only one of those hikes was in the Whites - Carter Dome, which I had already ascended in 1995 so still at 21. I didn't return to the Whites again until 2014 when I did a single hike on November 16 consisting of Mt. Willey, Mt Field and mt. Tom. So at the end of 2014 I had managed to accomplish exactly half of the goal. I did alot of hikes in the intervening time but all in Ct, Ma or Vt with a ton of hikes up Monadnock. In my first winter hike ever, in 2015, I hiked North Kinsman on January 25th (I've now had 10 winter hikes. :) ) - I managed 11 hikes in the Whites in 2015 with 3 of them being winter hikes. Banner year right there. Being in Ct. can really make all of that difficult. In 2016 I did 8 peaks in the Whites (The wildcats were, um, interesting), all of them were winter hikes but 1 but I'm certain not all of the Wildcat peaks count. I'd have to look at the AMC guide to see I guess. Already this year (and I wish I could have done more but distance is an enemy) I did South and Middle Carter and Moriah today. I have four left - Isolation, West Bond, Cabot and Owl's head. None of them easy obviously but I'd like to get in one more winter hike this year so the last weekend before spring looks good. As for the 10 winter hikes that AMC would count:

Garfield 12/28/15
Galehead 12/28/15
North Kinsman 1/25/15
Carrigain 1/24/16
Wildcat 2/21/16
Wildcat D 2/21/16
Canon 3/19/16
Middle Carter 1/27/17
South Carter 1/27/17
Moriah 2/18/17

I am soooo happy that my wife got me back into hiking and I'm super proud that it looks like I'm actually going to pull this off this year. Not only will I finish the AMC 4000 footers but will be almost a quarter of the way on the winter hikes as well in three seasons. :)

Congratulations on getting back into it. You can only finish the 48 for the first time once.

"I have four left - Isolation, West Bond, Cabot and Owl's head."

That's not an uncommon final group! I'd suggest doing the Horn and Bulge with Cabot. Camping at Unknown Pond is an option and would make a nice finish if Cabot were the final. Cabot has the cabin on top as well. Woodstove is long gone, but the mice are friendly.

West Bond is of course, spectacular. Guyot shelter option for overnight.

Owl's Head is remote and a great way to isolate yourself for the last peak if you like. Camping options all over the place legally near the base of the slide if you bring a tent. More isolated than Isolation.

Isolation has a stellar view on a good day and really does feel remote once you cross the stream. Rocky Branch Shelter #2 is gone now. Burned to the ground by design last winter.

Good luck finishing up and watch the stream crossings as the melt begins!

Great hiking with you yesterday. We'll try to hook up for one of those four, or if nothing else we will make it to Cabot for your finish.

Ya, it was awesome hiking with you and your dog. Still can't believe how many people went up that trail without snowshoes.

Congratulations! I too have been away for awhile! I have about six to go on my winter list. I miss the mountains! The best thing about finishing is starting all over again!