Hiker Unplanned overnight in the Pemi

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He didnt call, did he? His friends did. Im surprised he wasn't aware of the snow depth, also. Snow is still 4 to 6 feet deep in most places and expecting another foot or so this weekend. Sounds like he was prepared to spend the night, if he had too. Smart guy. Probably would have walked out on his own, regardless.

A quote from the article relating to another recent thread:

He had no cellphone access where he was.

Luckily he had enough experience and clothing/gear to survive the night...

Very scary when unplanned.... I am SO glad he's OK!!!! I used to hike with him occasionally but haven't seen him in years. I would be absolutely HORRIFIED to be in the news in this scenario - of course, better than the alternative such as dying of exposure in the Pemi.....

He didnt call, did he? His friends did. Im surprised he wasn't aware of the snow depth, also. Snow is still 4 to 6 feet deep in most places and expecting another foot or so this weekend. Sounds like he was prepared to spend the night, if he had too. Smart guy. Probably would have walked out on his own, regardless.

Snow depth could simply mean how far he was sinking in with snowshoes due to warm weather, or that the trail wasn't broken out. If he was doing a B-Z traverse, with no car at LW then he might have felt more compelled to keep going. I'd be curious about that aspect. Regardless, glad to see he survived.

Everyone should make sure their over-worrying loved ones see this article so they know there is a precedent. :)

I didn't read anywhere that he wasn't aware of the snow depth. It just says he was making slower progress than expected. Could have been from unbroken trail, breakable crust conditions, postholing with snowshoes due to warm weather, etc.

In any case, this is pretty much the ideal outcome, and it sounds like the hiker made good decisions based on experience and skill.

Reads to me like a success story. I believe many of us, (well, at least me) has been caught in the spring conditions issue. Patches, or long stretches, of very deep, rotten snow; swollen streams, etc. Snowshoes can be useless in that instance.

Happened to me as late as May in the Kilkenny. Took 6 hours to get from Cabot to Unknown Pond...

Reads to me like a success story. I believe many of us, (well, at least me) has been caught in the spring conditions issue. Patches, or long stretches, of very deep, rotten snow; swollen streams, etc. Snowshoes can be useless in that instance.

Happened to me as late as May in the Kilkenny. Took 6 hours to get from Cabot to Unknown Pond...

Absolutely a success... stinks that it rained on him on the way out, but for sure a success story. I've spent an unplanned night out due to Spring conditions out West, and part of another where we hunkered down for a couple hours to rest and walked out late at night under headlamps. Comes with the job description if you hike long enough.

A long time hike/ski buddy describes different types of "fun": type 1 fun you know it's fun when you're having it, type 2 fun isn't fun at the time but is thought of later on as fun (time interval up for discussion), and this might be "type 3 fun" other than the discomfort it caused everyone. Types 1/2 are to be sought after, but probably not type 3.

Absolutely a success... stinks that it rained on him on the way out, but for sure a success story. I've spent an unplanned night out due to Spring conditions out West, and part of another where we hunkered down for a couple hours to rest and walked out late at night under headlamps. Comes with the job description if you hike long enough.

A long time hike/ski buddy describes different types of "fun": type 1 fun you know it's fun when you're having it, type 2 fun isn't fun at the time but is thought of later on as fun (time interval up for discussion), and this might be "type 3 fun" other than the discomfort it caused everyone. Types 1/2 are to be sought after, but probably not type 3.

I like the Types you reference there. Type 3 may not be considered "fun" by all, but there is certainly some measure of satisfaction that comes with winning against what is, really, a life & death situation. "Fun" may be a bit of a stretch, but it satisfied that you had the knowledge, training, and experience required, and were able to use it.

I always describe type 3 fun as sarcastic. Type 1 is "This is fun"; type 2, "that was fun"; type 3, "well, that was fun."

Poncho and garbage bag seems a little on the light side for rain gear on a trip of this magnitude in what the calendar calls spring but is essentially winter. Sufficient gear and some ingenuity will do the job if perfect gear isn't available.

Glad things worked out. I've seen Mark Twight credited for the following quote, "It doesn't have to be fun, to be fun" which describes type two fun.

This strikes me as a time when a Spot Beacon would have utility. You could fire it off and include the "I'm OK" status. This would save a SAR response.

I have an ACR beacon, so I can only summon a rescue response. Thing I don't like about Spot is the ongoing subscription charge.