Thread: Windham High Peak, Burnt Knob Catskills, NY 5-20-17

Windham High Peak, Burnt Knob Catskills, NY 5-20-17

Happy to finally be back on the trails of the northeast after a busy couple of months. It would of been an awesome day if it wasnt for the horrendous amount of bugs!

https://operationalaska30.com/2017/0...ls-ny-5-20-17/

Bloomville, New York Avatar: Dress for success!
    If you look at your benchmark photo, you will see an arrow. Did you follow it? There might still be another benchmark, this one with a Triangle on it.

The new trails in the Catskills are being constructed with more switchbacks. While I'm not a big fan, they do help control erosion.

We've heard the bugs are bad this year, but that's at least good for the birds that eat them!

Your route is one of the few that I have not taken, but this makes me want to do it even more now!

Thanks for the report!
    Tom Rankin
    Volunteer Balsam Lake Mountain
    Past President Catskill 3500 Club
    CEO

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Rankin View Post
    If you look at your benchmark photo, you will see an arrow. Did you follow it? There might still be another benchmark, this one with a Triangle on it.

The new trails in the Catskills are being constructed with more switchbacks. While I'm not a big fan, they do help control erosion.

We've heard the bugs are bad this year, but that's at least good for the birds that eat them!

Your route is one of the few that I have not taken, but this makes me want to do it even more now!

Thanks for the report!
    You know I didnt even notice the arrow. We didn't go any further because I thought that was just the trail that finishes the loop from the other direction. Yea there was actually one small switchback on the trail which was surprising. After doing the literally 100 switchbacks in a row on the Mt Whitney trail a few years ago I have a pretty strong dislike of them. Its not that they are harder or anything but man are they soul sucking. Also yea the bugs were pretty out of control, I think I counted a total of 7 black fly bites all in all. Not a record for me but still a good showing hah.