K2 in Winter

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, they will need good luck even though they seem to be the best of the best. I like to see people willing to push things to the edge and beyond but this struck me as going to the extremity of extreme. I do like the team aspect of their approach.

K2 - the mountain where no matter how good you are, the frequency of avalanches on every route is beyond your control.

The fact that the odds are that one out of every four who reach the summit will perish on the descent is an appalling and sobering statistic that puts the quest in perspective. As one writer described it, your odds of survival are better playing Russian roulette.

I've studied the peak for years in text. I think they are crazy. But, good luck.

I've studied the peak for years in text. I think they are crazy.

That article was interesting in that it correlated changing social and political conditions in Poland with the development of extreme Winter climbing activities.

One of the leader's quotes sums up the Polish Winter mindset nicely: "You've got to know how to suffer."

cb

The Polish have been known for their boldness for many year's. But, there is a reason K2 has not been climbed in the winter, even with the talent out there worldwide. Avalanches, cold, rockfall. Being bold and learning to suffer are all well and good. But, objective dangers care little of such boldness. I wish them luck, they will need it. Another thing to consider. They plan on pulling their ropes as they set their summit launch site. Anyone gets injured after they do that, they are basically dead. No way, they get them down without fixed ropes.

I wish these guys the best of luck. This is a very serious endeavor. To put it in perspective while on a climbing trip to Alaska back in the mid 90's I was fortunate enough to meet Steve Swenson whom was the Leader of a successful North Ridge climb of K2. He said it took them four separate try's each three months at a time to be successful in their Summitting of K2. In his words...." It took a year of my life to climb that Mountain"!

I wish these guys the best of luck. This is a very serious endeavor. To put it in perspective while on a climbing trip to Alaska back in the mid 90's I was fortunate enough to meet Steve Swenson whom was the Leader of a successful North Ridge climb of K2. He said it took them four separate try's each three months at a time to be successful in their Summitting of K2. In his words...." It took a year of my life to climb that Mountain"!

I think that point gets lost amidst the sensationalizing of these summit bids. These trips take many months, and that doesn't count any of the planning/packing time. Serious mental, financial and time commitment just to get to the point where you make a go/no go decision on your actual objective.