Skiing "Tuckerman headwall"

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yury

Reaction score
My neighbour yesterday told me how she skied "Headwall of the Tuckerman Ravine" in June of 1946.
She made several stops on the way down regardless of the fact that she was “professional” skier (for three winters starting 1947 she worked as a ski instructor in Mount Tremblant).
They camped closer to this slope to save time on hiking up.

Is this type of skiing still done now?

My neighbour yesterday told me how she skied "Headwall of the Tuckerman Ravine" in June of 1946.
She made several stops on the way down regardless of the fact that she was “professional” skier (for three winters starting 1947 she worked as a ski instructor in Mount Tremblant).
They camped closer to this slope to save time on hiking up.

Is this type of skiing still done now?

Does that mean she skied over the lip? Would there have been enough snow in June '46? Is that possible? Or, more probably, she skied whatever remained of the snow in the bowl (probably Left Gully)?

Does that mean she skied over the lip? Would there have been enough snow in June '46? Is that possible? Or, more probably, she skied whatever remained of the snow in the bowl (probably Left Gully)?
I will bring a printout and ask her.
Her memory is rather good regardless of her being 91 y.o.

There used to be snow in the ravine until July, August some years. There is a documentation on a year where as soon as the snow melted from the revious Winter, it started snowing again...so, its possible they were skiing in June.

There is a documentation on a year where as soon as the snow melted from the previous Winter, it started snowing again...so, its possible they were skiing in June.

In the 60s my dad's ski club (Sterling from CT) held an annual trip to Tucks over Memorial Day weekend. It was a given that the skiing would be extensive enough to merit the 6 hour drive to Pinkham. His 35mm slides reveal lots of snow in most areas of the Ravine on those late May trips.

cb

On another topic...

Does Central Gully in Huntington's get skied from the top on a regular basis in this modern era of radical descents ?

I recall seeing someone (Ed Webster?) ski it in the 70s, but he started below the small ice wall about half way up.

cb

There used to be snow in the ravine until July, August some years. There is a documentation on a year where as soon as the snow melted from the revious Winter, it started snowing again...so, its possible they were skiing in June.

Yes, you are right, it's quite possible. There was a significant period of colder climate in the mid 20th century.