drones

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greenpoint

Reaction score
Has anybody had any issues with drones flying overhead while trying to enjoy the peace & quiet of a summit? My wife and I were on top of Middle Sugarloaf yesterday and were the only ones there for a short while. The view was beautiful and it was nice to have it to ourselves. My wife went off to the woods to do her "business" when, suddenly this noise that I thought was a distant chainsaw got louder and I realized then it was a drone flying overhead, actually spying on my wife. Even after that, it hovered over the area for several minutes, ruining the serenity we were seeking and invading our privacy. As other hikers joined us on the mountain top it remained in the area. Eventually it left. I would love to know of a device that could deactivate the thing in mid air, sending it crashing to the ground. There was nothing we could do because we couldn't stop it and had no idea who had the controls. I hope this doesn't become an issue as we continue to hike this summer.

The WMNF bans the use of drones. Thus its an illegal act. Unfortunately, you as a citizen are not allowed to interfere with a drone unless you want to do an illegal act. Feel free to complain to the WMNF but expect its an annoyance that is going to be an increasing.

I was on Cabot Saturday and someone told me there was a drone over the cabin, but I didn't see or hear it (I didn't drop down that far, I came in from the north). Yesterday on Tremont a couple I talked to said someone was flying a drone on Osceola the day before.

Yeah, I really hope this isn't going to be more of a thing. :(

Drones (much like the dogs mentioned in another post) are almost totally under the control and responsibility of their owner/operator. At least dogs belong in a peaceful outdoor setting. These drones seem to be ever creeping into the tranquil and quiet places that we, as hikers, seek out for quiet relaxation and recreation. Now it seems that technology, once again, will be invading these natural places.

It is my opinion that if you feel threatened, harassed, endangered, or that your privacy has been grossly violated by a drone, you can take whatever steps necessary to defend yourself and your family. I also believe you can hold the operator completely responsible, even if considerable time has passed. Perhaps as more people stand up to drones and protect themselves, we may see drone owners less likely to operate them in ways that infringe on the natural rights of others.

I had a recent situation were I was buzzed and harassed repeatedly by a drone. I attempted to down the drone and made my way towards it's operator to... However both fled the area quickly (one crash landed!). It should also be mentioned that two bald eagles were nesting and flying in the area at the time. I understand that certain of my attempted actions could be considered "illegal" or "criminal", but the real crime is the way some drone operators violate the personal space and safety of others.

Be sure to check your local laws before taking vigilante actions against drones/drone operators!!

Drones (much like the dogs mentioned in another post) are almost totally under the control and responsibility of their owner/operator. At least dogs belong in a peaceful outdoor setting. These drones seem to be ever creeping into the tranquil and quiet places that we, as hikers, seek out for quiet relaxation and recreation. Now it seems that technology, once again, will be invading these natural places.

It is my opinion that if you feel threatened, harassed, endangered, or that your privacy has been grossly violated by a drone, you can take whatever steps necessary to defend yourself and your family. I also believe you can hold the operator completely responsible, even if considerable time has passed. Perhaps as more people stand up to drones and protect themselves, we may see drone owners less likely to operate them in ways that infringe on the natural rights of others.

I had a recent situation were I was buzzed and harassed repeatedly by a drone. I attempted to down the drone and made my way towards it's operator to... However both fled the area quickly (one crash landed!). It should also be mentioned that two bald eagles were nesting and flying in the area at the time. I understand that certain of my attempted actions could be considered "illegal" or "criminal", but the real crime is the way some drone operators violate the personal space and safety of others.

Be sure to check your local laws before taking vigilante actions against drones/drone operators!!

Whoa - just because you feel threatened it doesn't mean you can take whatever steps you feel are necessary to not feel threatened. When two people with this mindset run into each other there tends to be needless and dangerous escalation. What if those drone operators had a gun and felt threatened by your actions? Try talking to the operator first at least, and take the time to understand what they are doing and express how it's impacting you. Open hostility is a bad strategy for conflict resolution. :)

Around 1230 PM yesterday May 28 I was eating my lunch at the fire tower atop Mt. Cardigan. A party of about 10 teenage boys and a few adults arrived. One of the boys carried what looked like a white suitcase. When they all settled in one place for lunch he launched a drone from it. He flew it all around the tower, hovered it far overhead, sent it out away from the summit and then back, where he hovered it and plucked it from the sky with one hand.

The high-pitched whine was quite annoying (worsened my tinnitus) and there were about 50 people on the summit. if the drone had crashed, there could have been serious injuries. All that for a few minutes' video; is it worth the risk?

Likely these incidents will continue until someone gets hurt.

The WMNF bans the use of drones. Thus its an illegal act. Unfortunately, you as a citizen are not allowed to interfere with a drone unless you want to do an illegal act. Feel free to complain to the WMNF but expect its an annoyance that is going to be an increasing.
Do you have any links to support this ban. Just doing a quick search I only found this info which is rather dated and does not concur with what you have stated. http://nhpr.org/post/granite-geek-h...drones-new-hampshires-great-outdoors#stream/0

Do you have any links to support this ban. Just doing a quick search I only found this info which is rather dated and does not concur with what you have stated. http://nhpr.org/post/granite-geek-h...drones-new-hampshires-great-outdoors#stream/0

It was my understanding, that drones are not allowed in National Parks, but they are allowed in National Forest, (except Wilderness areas). If this is in fact the case, personally, I hope they ban them soon in NF. I find them to be very annoying and intrusive to anyone around them.

Has anybody had any issues with drones flying overhead while trying to enjoy the peace & quiet of a summit? My wife and I were on top of Middle Sugarloaf yesterday and were the only ones there for a short while. The view was beautiful and it was nice to have it to ourselves. My wife went off to the woods to do her "business" when, suddenly this noise that I thought was a distant chainsaw got louder and I realized then it was a drone flying overhead, actually spying on my wife. Even after that, it hovered over the area for several minutes, ruining the serenity we were seeking and invading our privacy. As other hikers joined us on the mountain top it remained in the area. Eventually it left. I would love to know of a device that could deactivate the thing in mid air, sending it crashing to the ground. There was nothing we could do because we couldn't stop it and had no idea who had the controls. I hope this doesn't become an issue as we continue to hike this summer.

12 Gauge would work.

Whoa - just because you feel threatened it doesn't mean you can take whatever steps you feel are necessary to not feel threatened. When two people with this mindset run into each other there tends to be needless and dangerous escalation. What if those drone operators had a gun and felt threatened by your actions? Try talking to the operator first at least, and take the time to understand what they are doing and express how it's impacting you. Open hostility is a bad strategy for conflict resolution. :)

Might be true but I would personally smash the thing into a thousand pieces if I could get my hands on it and figure out the legality of what I did after. Super freaking annoying. It's an invasion of personal privacy. I think it's a reasonable expectation to be in the middle of the freakin' woods and not be getting captured on film.

Might be true but I would personally smash the thing into a thousand pieces if I could get my hands on it and figure out the legality of what I did after. Super freaking annoying. It's an invasion of personal privacy. I think it's a reasonable expectation to be in the middle of the freakin' woods and not be getting captured on film.

You shouldn't walk into the woods with that expectation. I can walk around with my camera all day and if I take a picture of you, tough beans for you. I would however have the courtesy to not annoy the heck out of you. If you do see a camera pointed at you. Do something cool.

I wouldn't care for the buzzing of a drone while I'm enjoying a summit beer though. I would attempt to find the operator and annoy them equally. The ball is in their court after that.

I stand corrected, I was sure I remembered a FS supervisors order, must have mixed it up with the National Park order that applies to the AT.

Last edited:

It is not a reasonable expectation to assume privacy in a public space. I feel as though the Google Street view outtakes should be a good reminder of that. :D

Also, you are probably being captured digitally (not on film). I don't know if hipsters are into drones yet.

Last edited:
Also, you are probably be captured digitally. I don't know if hipsters are into drones yet.

This needs to be re written/ edited . I'm not exactly sure what you mean here. I'm sure it's a small typo but it makes no sense as is.

This needs to be re written/ edited . I'm not exactly sure what you mean here. I'm sure it's a small typo but it makes no sense as is.

Be vs being. It's a comment on film vs digital, and poking fun at hipsters who are known for using older technology (Polaroids, pin-hole, etc). I tried to add some clarity, but this might not be the target demographic for such humor. :)

It is not a reasonable expectation to assume privacy in a public space.

The guy's wife is "doing her business" in the bushes out of view and this is not an invasion of personal privacy?? No offense but I totally disagree with you there. I wouldn't expect some guy to be taking cell phone video of me over the top of the stall in a "public" restroom. Am I not entitled to a "reasonable expectation of privacy" in that "public" space?? Just because I am not in the confines of my home does not give you the right to do whatever the hell you want.

Bird bolo: + legal, cheap and light / - will take a lot of practice to develop skill, limited range

Netgun: + legal, reasonably portable, accurate / - expensive, still somewhat limited range

Net deploying 12 ga rounds: + accurate, long range, reasonably portable / - expensive (if you don't already have the 12 ga), legality questionable (even though not technically a "lethal" round)

EMP projectors: + safe, legal, very effective / - technology still in development, expensive, generally big and heavy

Wow, haven't run into this issue yet. I would go from intrigued to annoyed pretty quickly- especially as described in the opening post. My aim is iffy beyond 100' but I'd likely try to down it with a rock if it were invading her privacy.

Bird bolo: + legal, cheap and light / - will take a lot of practice to develop skill, limited range

Netgun: + legal, reasonably portable, accurate / - expensive, still somewhat limited range

Net deploying 12 ga rounds: + accurate, long range, reasonably portable / - expensive (if you don't already have the 12 ga), legality questionable (even though not technically a "lethal" round)

EMP projectors: + safe, legal, very effective / - technology still in development, expensive, generally big and heavy

Sorry FAA has been pretty specific, private citizens cannot mess with drones therefore no method of downing a drone is legal. Note that reportedly the US military has deployed anti drone equipment in the various actions against ISIS.