Saddleback Mtn to Rt27 via AT hitting all 8 4000 Footers 6/29-6/30

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan J

Reaction score
We're planning a thru-hike starting at the Saddleback Ski Resort hiking up the slope then hitting the AT and hitting all 4000 Footer along the way to the RT27 parking area. We're planning on staying at the Spaulding Mtn Lean-to. Does anyone know if the lean-to is in good shape and if there is much bear activity in that area? I've read there is a reliable spring nearby for water. Also, my map shows a "dangerous crossing" where the AT crosses Orbeton Stream, but I haven't read anything about this crossing.

Day 3 we're planning a trip up Avery and West Peak via the Fire Warden's Trail.

Any advice or information is appreciated. Thank you.

I stayed in the Spaulding Mountain Lean-to in August of last year. It was in good shape with plenty of room for tenting nearby and no obvious evidence of bear activity. The stream is reliable, clear and cold running water and not far from the lean-to.

Last edited:
Orbeton stream isn't anything scary except during spring run off. Same with the South Branch off the Carrabassett just south of the Caribou Valley Road. It usually has plank with rope on it. The hike from the AT over to Abraham and back is a bit longer than some folks think. Its just over 4 miles round trip

Spaulding mountain is a fairly large leanto. One board in the middle was pretty chewed up by porcupines, but one of the sobos hung his hammock over that spot. We hauled some trash out of there that some inconsiderate asses left behind. There was a group of boyscouts camping there and a group of teen girls on a guided adventure tour out of NH. There was plenty of room for everybody at the tent sites. Stream was flowing good for a drought year. Orbeton stream is nothing to worry about. My GF and Iwalkedover to Mt Abraham to bag that summit, but the wind was blowing so hard, we had a tough time keeping our feet under us over all the rubble that makes up the summit of the mountain.

OK, thanks for the info. I was thinking mid-week the lean-to would not be very busy, but based on your comments it seems this may not be the case. I guess it's hard to predict, but glad there is a tenting area and water nearby. I'm glad to hear the stream crossing are nothing crazy. Thanks again.

This is decidedly a popular backpack and there are quite a few groups that do it. It can get crowded. Note your first days hike is pretty aggressive (elevation not mileage). The alternative is there is plenty of camping east of Orbeton Stream in the hardwoods or on the old railroad bed. Once you head up into the softwoods past Orbeton stream camping options are less until Spaulding.

Going up the ski slopes of Saddleback is much easier than taking the AT up to the summit. I did it 4th of July weekend last year. Thats part of the reason for so many hikers that I saw. As peakbagger mentioned, thats a pretty aggressive schedule. Those are some pretty steep up and downs, but its also a wonferfully challenging hike with some beautiful views if the weather cooperates. Crawling across the summit of Saddleback in wind blowing 70mph is not so much fun when the summit is wreathed in clouds.

Nobos are starting to filter through now, and Sobos will be soon. You will probably meet many hikers along that stretch of the AT.

Indeed, that hike down to Orbeton Stream then back up looks tough with full packs. Hopefully the weather cooperates. Good weather is always helpful.
Hopefully the trails dry up some before then too.
Any idea if there is any cell service on any sections out there? I never rely on it, but just curious. Thanks.

If you remember the Gerry Largay incident, one of the contributing issues was the lack of cell coverage in the Orbeton Stream area (you will be hiking right by where she perished). There is possibly some coverage up high on Saddleback and near Sugarloaf, possibly up high on the Crockers and up high on Bigelow but definitely don't depend on it.

OK, good to know. Thanks for the all info. I'm definitely not planning on coverage, but having never been to the area I'm trying to gain as much information at possible. Thanks.