North Woods Bugs

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
WGME a TV station in southern maine had a story in the last few days on Katahdin Woods and Waters building 30 miles of new trails. The video showed the North Country Conservation Corps (NCCC) working on brushing out a section of trail (looked like an old logging road). They were in full bug gear. Boots, long pants long sleeves and bug nets all very tightly closed up. The bug nets they were using had a top ring to keep the netting out away from the skin so they looked like they were wearing mesh helmets. It looked oddly like old science fiction movies of the 50s. Hopefully the photographer had similar gear as the camera lens was covered by bugs. They interviewed one of the participants who took the bug net off and it was obvious it was going to be a short interview. Definitely not the time to be out in the woods east of Baxter. Of course the AT south bounders are just heading out over the next two weeks so hope they got the gear and sanity to survive the onslaught.

If you take your coffee black they are harder to tell from a few grounds. Besides, what's so wrong with a little organic free-range protein? Look on the bright side, the mosquitoes are out so we get a little variety in our airborne snacks. What's more, we do our duty when we feed the NH state bird so the next generation can have a healthy start. Everyone wins.

With that said, I have done that duty, et them snacks, and will just keep my hiking to the sunrise hours when it is too cold for them. 35 F at 7 AM on Mt Kearsarge today, and no bugs.

I'll take North Country bugs over Rats,Black Widows,Brown Recluse,Centipede's etc like in Maui..and all the traffic jams,high prices with homeless,Wino's,Drug addicts hanging out there as well. I've forgotten a bunch more I'm sure.