What the &@$"

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richard

Reaction score
Today while hiking up Mt. Uncanoonuc, coming down the trail was a woman and a little girl around 3 years old. The woman had an infant on her back. They both had pink canvas sneakers. The trail was very wet, muddy & slippery. Right behind them about 20 yds. was her husband ( I assume). He was wearing a dress shirt, light colored chinos, and LOAFERS on his feet !!! I told him that I thought he was crazy, and he was an accident "waiting to happen ". His only response was a slight smile and a stupid look on his face.:confused:

Live and Learn. And Let Live and Learn, I suppose. Maybe they were Ultra Runners ;)
As a Yute I summited Marcy several times in winter in blue jeans and cotton/poly long johns
and survived a -15 degree night in a lean-to there in a $50 bag from Caldor.

Oh Yeah, I forgot the most unbelievable part. He was texting on his cell phone while coming down the trail !!!

Last Saturday, I ran into a woman descending the steep eroded part of the Frankenstein Cliff Trail. It was sleeting and the trail was very slippery. The woman not only wore sneakers, but she descended with her hands in the pocket of her rain-saturated hoodie. I kept thinking on how painful it would be for her face if she slipped and couldn't get her hands out of her pocket fast enough. Ouch.

Meh, it's Mt. Uncanoonuc. If they are going to learn, and learn the hard way, that's a pretty good spot for it.

Oh Yeah, I forgot the most unbelievable part. He was texting on his cell phone while coming down the trail !!!
Sounds like he has good balance coupled with sharp eye to hand skills.

Live and Learn. And Let Live and Learn, I suppose. Maybe they were Ultra Runners ;)
As a Yute I summited Marcy several times in winter in blue jeans and cotton/poly long johns
and survived a -15 degree night in a lean-to there in a $50 bag from Caldor.

Caldor! Now that's a retailer lost in the dark mists of history (along with E.J. Korvette).

This thread reminds me of the bit about Ginger Rodgers and Fred Astair. (She did all the moves he did, only backwards and in heels.)

Some folks climb the same peaks we do only carrying kids and wearing Barbi sneakers. (And they seldom need to be rescued.)

Now that's a bit of right-sizing for ya!

cb

I saw a dude in open Teva sandals on Katahdin once. He survived.

I ran into a group of 4, two guys and two ladies kust above Saddle jct on Katahdin. They were of some religious sect. Long black puffy dresses on the women and leather shoes. Men had black woolish looking pants, white shirts, wide brim black hats, leather boots and sport coat type jacket drapped over their shoulder. One guy was carrying a wicker picnic basket. There were heading to the summit as we were heading toward Hamlin and down. I warned them of impending tstorm but they continued on. Skies opened up about 45 mins from the parking lot for us so I am sure they were still near the summit and in the open. Never heard they didn't make it.

Best one I've seen though is a dude 5 or 6 years ago on Monadnock. Early spring with half the trail still snow covered. He was on the summit headed down barefooted. Wasn't even carrying boots. He too made it up and down. I just hope someone up above looks after me when I need it. I've gotten to the point now where I just shake my head and don't even say anything.

Nothing really surprises me anymore out hiking in general. Although I usually choose not to hike on National Naked Hiking Day.