Advice sought re: backup battery for iPhone

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Damselfly

Reaction score
I have a couple of multi-day trips planned this summer, and would like to carry a backup battery for my iPhone 5s. If you've had good luck with a particular product, I would enjoy hearing from you. Thanks.

I also have an Anker Astro E1. Mine is the 5200mAh, which is slightly smaller than the one Tim has. I paid 16 for it on Amazon. It has worked well for me so far.

Last edited:
I use a battery similar to that Anker listed above and it's well on my multiday trips. Been able to charge my phone and garmin watch easily at camp.

I just bought Anker PowerCore 13000 (8 1/4 oz) which is 5 x capacity of my phone battery. I'm hoping that with judicious use of the phone (mobile data turned off most of the time, WiFi off, apps closed) it will be enough for a multi-day trip. I'm planning a real life test this month, so I can report on the outcome once my test is complete.

Depends on your phone. My iPhone 6S lasts 2-3 days between charges where the iPhone 5 I had before that was 1+ days. In airplane mode, it only drops ~3% per day... the link I posted above describes how to get maximum battery life out of your phone while using Gaia GPS in the backcountry.

Tim