Thread: Direttissima in Backpacker magazine

Direttissima in Backpacker magazine

The most recent issue of Backpacker has an article about the White Mountain Direttissima. In the article there is no credit given to Mats Roing , who basically invented the Direttissima in its modern version.
    I agree with Ranxerox !!!!

Swampyankee

I've given up on BP being remotely reasonable about the Northeast. In the June issue they recommend taking kids to stay at the Franconia Brook campsite and then go swimming by Franconia Falls, not mentioning there's a river crossing in between. Two chances to drown!

Quote Originally Posted by jniehof View Post
    I've given up on BP being remotely reasonable about the Northeast. In the June issue they recommend taking kids to stay at the Franconia Brook campsite and then go swimming by Franconia Falls, not mentioning there's a river crossing in between. Two chances to drown!
    Backpacker started out as a reasonable publication but along with Outside Magazine they lost a lot of steam a while ago IMO. On another note Mats was a great guy to have around here. Sorry he still doesn't chime in once in awhile. "Shake 'n Bake"!
    "I'm getting up and going to work everyday and I am stoked. That does not suck!"__Shane McConkey

Quote Originally Posted by jniehof View Post
    I laughed at that as well. Backpacker actually reached out to me for a pic of the falls but eventually used a photo of something else. Kinda glad they didn't highlight the falls further with that misinformation included. Their fact checking is quite bad these days.

I wouldn't put backpacker magazine in my bathroom. Complete junk.

Quote Originally Posted by swamp View Post
    The most recent issue of Backpacker has an article about the White Mountain Direttissima. In the article there is no credit given to Mats Roing , who basically invented the Direttissima in its modern version.
    Boo. Perhaps it was edited due to space limitations.

Last summer I did a Direttissima just before Backpacker mag's subject did his. In my blog post I made sure to mention those who came before because, in my view, it's important and shows respect.

http://runsuerun.blogspot.com/2016/0...ssima.html?m=1