No, pet dogs are not allowed in Baxter State Park.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alton's website states about Cole: "He is a certified therapy and emotional support animal." It's not out of the realm of consideration that Baxter officials did ask the two questions that they are allowed to ask (paraphrased here), 1) is this a service dog? and 2) what service is it trained to provide? Both questions could be answered honestly to gain admittance, and that's the limit of the requirements. Whether Alton is the person who uses the services that the dog is trained for is not part of the legal questions, nor is "will you be using the services that your dog is trained for while you are in BSP?"

It seems to me that this is a case where the dog was allowed in correctly, based on current law, but we don't know whether it was ethical for Alton to use the law in that way.

Q3. Are emotional support, therapy, comfort, or companion animals considered service animals under the ADA?
A. No. These terms are used to describe animals that provide comfort just by being with a person. Because they have not been trained to perform a specific job or task, they do not qualify as service animals under the ADA. However, some State or local governments have laws that allow people to take emotional support animals into public places. You may check with your State and local government agencies to find out about these laws.

Source: https://www.ada.gov/regs2010/service_animal_qa.html

The questions, as I cited early, from the same source, are:

(1) is the dog a service animal required because of a disability?
(2) what work or task has the dog been trained to perform?

Note that (1) includes the text required because of a disability.

Note also that it is entirely possible Cole is a service animal and the website from which his credentials stemmed is not up-to-date. It is also entirely possible Alton has a disability for which he is required which she has chosen not to make public.

Note that the citation is the federal/ADA guideline. Maine law may well allow emotional support, therapy, comfort, or companion animals into BSP.

Tim

Last edited:
Hmm... While I'd like to give her the benefit of the doubt, her website says that the dog is a certified therapy and emotional support animal and that she is a mental health clinician. It doesn't require much brain power to reach the conclusion that the dog is likely used FOR her profession. I'm very skeptical SHE required it to climb Katahdin. As stated above, this seems akin to using your grandparent's handicap sign so you can park closer to the store. I own a dog but don't care for them on the trails and I'm glad that BSP has the policy it does regarding them. If someone has a true need for a service dog, fine. A quick look at her website though...
I would agree with this. Unfortunate she has to beat her own drum so loud. It makes me wonder just how stringent the Authorities at BSP really are and just what their entry criteria is. Her FB page says she is "The proud owner of a baby Wolf". Now that would be a whole other can of worms if your thinking what I am thinking. Like to give her the benifit of the doubt but it does not seem like the cards stack up that way.

Last edited:
I would agree with this. Unfortunate she has to beat her own drum so loud. It makes me wonder just how stringent the Authorities at BSP really are and just what their entry criteria is. Her FB page says she is "The proud owner of a baby Wolf". Now that would be a whole other can of worms if your thinking what I am thinking. Like to give her the benifit of the doubt but it does not seem like the cards stack up that way.

Emotional support dog? No such thing as far as ADA is concerned. No specific training, no standards, no certification. It's all hooey.

IMHO she is a scammer, pure and simple.

And the folks on Baxter's gate (often summer-intern type kids) were probably trying to be nice, or just got tired of "being cajoled."

Then she brags about. YOU GO GIRL!!!

cb

And the folks on Baxter's gate (often summer-intern type kids) were probably trying to be nice, or just got tired of "being cajoled."

That's what I think happened. Afterwards, supervision found out about it, coached the employees and created a corrective action to spread the word about the "no pets" policy.

I wasn't going to get back on this thread, but I changed my mind. Alton does beat her drum loud, for many, that's a bad thing. To me, it's show's she is excited, happy and exuberant. Her dog is not a wolf, it's a catch phrase she uses, he is a Shiba inu. I have followed her on FB for some time. I've also met her in person. She is incredibly nice and friendly, not to mention supporting to anyone she meets regardless of their level of hiking ability. Unfortunately, she is routinely targeted in mean spirited ways because of her flamboyancy. I guess that's why, frankly this thread has not been up my alley so to speak. Bottom line, her dog is certified and legal to enter the park. She sought and received approval by the park, there was no end game here. They made the decision to let her dog in. I find it interesting that still isn't good enough for some. Do you know if she has a condition not publicly known? are you comfortable slandering her without concrete knowledge that she doesn't? Maybe time would be better spent complaining to Baxter officials about rules your not pleased with, then insinuating she committed malfeasance. The good news is, she's pretty dam strong and used to this type of thing and to busy doing a presi traverse with Cole to even care.;) Now, I'm done with this.

Cole is not a service dog. He is a therapy dog/ESA. That does not grant him access to BSP or many other places she takes him (restaurants, trails closed to dogs in Acadia, etc.)

Also, dogs not actively performing a task are afforded the same access rights as when they are on duty. IE - A service dog used as a pack animal doesn't need to be carrying a load to be given access.

I wasn't going to get back on this thread, but I changed my mind. Alton does beat her drum loud, for many, that's a bad thing. To me, it's show's she is excited, happy and exuberant. Her dog is not a wolf, it's a catch phrase she uses, he is a Shiba inu. I have followed her on FB for some time. I've also met her in person. She is incredibly nice and friendly, not to mention supporting to anyone she meets regardless of their level of hiking ability. Unfortunately, she is routinely targeted in mean spirited ways because of her flamboyancy. I guess that's why, frankly this thread has not been up my alley so to speak. Bottom line, her dog is certified and legal to enter the park. She sought and received approval by the park, there was no end game here. They made the decision to let her dog in. I find it interesting that still isn't good enough for some. Do you know if she has a condition not publicly known? are you comfortable slandering her without concrete knowledge that she doesn't? Maybe time would be better spent complaining to Baxter officials about rules your not pleased with, then insinuating she committed malfeasance. The good news is, she's pretty dam strong and used to this type of thing and to busy doing a presi traverse with Cole to even care.;) Now, I'm done with this.

Her friendly demeanor and her support of people she meets have nothing to do with the topic. Routinely targeted in mean spirited ways? That's unfortunate but I've never heard of her until now and I'm certainly not being mean spirited for the sake of it. I posted an unbiased opinion based on what is known. Could she have a condition that truly warranted the dog being there? Of course... However, I think her response to "How did you get him in there?" would have been more cut and dry. As for folks having a problem with BSP and their policies, you seem to be the only one in that particular camp.

It is so fascinating to me that we have the same source material and, in good faith, reach opposite conclusions. IMO Gov. Baxter' charter prioritizes the flora and fauna over human enjoyment of the park. So I don't think he would have said ok.

My read on that is that Governor Baxter was a politician, and politicians respond to people. I think if he met Alton, he very well might've given her the key to the park and hiked with her, if he could keep up.

My read on that is that Governor Baxter was a politician, and politicians respond to people. I think if he met Alton, he very well might've given her the key to the park and hiked with her, if he could keep up.

He was also a dog lover but specifically excluded them from the park.

Note also that it is entirely possible Cole is a service animal and the website from which his credentials stemmed is not up-to-date. It is also entirely possible Alton has a disability for which he is required which she has chosen not to make public.

For all we know, she could be epileptic or type I diabetic and he is trained to detect or assist. She's not said so, that I know of, but that doesn't mean it's not the case.

I think that gets into a pretty slippery slope. IF (and I don't know the woman or this situation, just what I'm reading here) she just got in via pressure, and you are saying he could succumb to that, then where does it stop? My friend did the AT with his dog. Got to the gates, they said "no", he left. Didn't complete the trail without her.

Hear hear! I think she might have charmed, begged and won over BSP officials for an exception, insofar as Cole may be a service dog, but not one whose services she requires for a disability. All I'm saying is it's clear BSP let her and him in, so tough cookies to those who disagree - it's BSP's call. She is incredibly nice and fun and giving. There's a reason so many people like her. And she's got a helluva horn - hiking talent - so good for her blowing it. I find her inspiring most of the time and occasionally overmuch, but none of us bats 1000. I'm all for her.

Last edited:
Cole is not a service dog. He is a therapy dog/ESA. That does not grant him access to BSP or many other places she takes him (restaurants, trails closed to dogs in Acadia, etc.)

Also, dogs not actively performing a task are afforded the same access rights as when they are on duty. IE - A service dog used as a pack animal doesn't need to be carrying a load to be given access.

With respect, JaB, how do you definitively know Cole is not a service animal, certified? A read through this thread suggests he is.

I think that gets into a pretty slippery slope. IF (and I don't know the woman or this situation, just what I'm reading here) she just got in via pressure, and you are saying he could succumb to that, then where does it stop? My friend did the AT with his dog. Got to the gates, they said "no", he left. Didn't complete the trail without her.

I expect more charm than pressure. Yes, the slope can be slippery. Little in life is perfect, and the administration of the laws is far from so. Special cases get special treatment, and that can be a bad thing, but not always.

I expect more charm than pressure. Yes, the slope can be slippery. Little in life is perfect, and the administration of the laws is far from so. Special cases get special treatment, and that can be a bad thing, but not always.

I don't agree with it. If this is a valid service animal and is recognized, then all is good. If not, and charm/pressure/influence was exerted, then I don't agree with it. Those who follow the rules lose out? Rules are made for others to follow? I see so much of the squeaky wheel getting the grease, it bugs me to be honest. At the minimum, if you do get your way when others don't, I think I'd recommend toning it down a notch. Rubbing salt in wounds and all that...

Again, I don't know the woman and am not commenting on the viability of her claim and if this was, or should've been, allowed.

With respect, JaB, how do you definitively know Cole is not a service animal, certified? A read through this thread suggests he is.

A read through this thread suggests one person thinks he is. My experience says otherwise. At any rate, there is no negotiation or begging needed with park staff if he is legit. Her history of blatant disregard for canine regulations doesn't help her cause any.

Exhibit A. 1 specific exchange in the comments is also worth a read. http://wanderwomansuperpup.com/?p=167
Very blantant to say the least on her part. So just say she had gotten hurt breaking the rules in Acadia which she self admittly states she did. What would she have to say about endangering the safety of others that would have to come out and rescue her arse?

According to this source: http://registerservicedogs.com/?gclid=CLD7gs-F89QCFV2HswodcncL1g

"Certified Emotional Support Dogs" / Laws Protecting you : Fair Housing Amendments Act
Air Carrier Access Act"

According to her blog, her dog Cole, "is a certified therapy and emotional support animal."

As stated earlier, Service Dogs are different from Emotional Support Dogs

Her dog is apparently NOT a Service Dog.

Soooooo, apparently the statement that "Only service dogs are allowed in the Park" is not entirely true????????

Last edited: