A Thread About Favorite Mountains!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Three nominees- not the biggest but love Crawford all seasons in the Whites, Doubletop in Baxter, and Teton Crest from Alaska Basin in the Tetons. Of course Franconia Ridge on a quiet sunny weekday is in a category all its own. Finally, I just finished the Laugevergur trek in Iceland- truly exceptional. Great thread:)

Great answers here! Thanks for taking the time; it's good reading. A few comments:

Jniehof: Yeah, favortites are impossible; I pick differently depending on the day sometimes. I'd likely slow you down, but I'll let you know when I'm thinking about this and will take you up the offer to join me on Adams if you are interested. I'd be happy averaging 2mph on that one. The Unitas look great - I was not familiar with the range. Very cool to see it's made of 600 million year old rock and is the only major range in the US with an East West orientation.

Tom: You named three on my ADK list for when I get some time in NY - never done any of those but have heard great reports on all three. Mansfield is truly unique. What a gem for Vermont. Camel's Hump is pretty special too. Katahdin is Katahdin, can't argue with that. Carrigain has one of my favorite ridges (Signal Ridge) and the Desolation Trail rocks. That's a good call. And to echo you and Egilbe, the Bigelows are awesome. One of the most amazing days I've been in the mountains was on the Bigelows with a perfect undercast allowing just the 4000 foot peaks or so to poke through. It was incredible. Great range.

Sierra: great story. I totally understand that mentality. Mountains are incredibly healing places, especially for the spirit. It's certainly my best medicine and keeps me in a healthy place on all levels. And like Katahdin, it's hard to ever argue against Washington. The mountain is another absolute gem, one of the few great, great mountains in NE. Sounds like it was more than worthy as practice ground for your experiences out west. Washington to me is a mountain I will always (hope) to climb. But the crowds have become such that in summer, I will pick my days midweek and leave either quite early or quite late. The time one chooses to hike this mountain has an impact on the experience. I've never had a bad time on the rock pile to be sure, but I selfishly pick times when I can have it in smaller company. I've had the whole summit area to myself and I've almost witnessed a fist fight at the summit sign. I love the mountain though. People are people. They're crazy around the summit sign.

JFB: Greylock has always been a mountain I really liked as well. It's got great trails, a really great feel to the mountain, and I can see the whale shape the profile has from distance. I've heard that may have been part of Melville's inspiration for Moby Dick as he could see the mountain out his window. Lots of history. I hope to be there in September this year.

Grey J: that is a chilling story. Thanks for sharing. You made a very wise move. The window to turn back is only open so long. It sounds so similar to a time a friend and I stayed over at the Perch with the plan to do Jefferson. It was a cold night and we woke to damp, snowy conditions with little visibility and my friend with little energy after a hard day and cold night prior. We started up to test the waters, but quickly chose the wiser decision and hiked out. We were both feeling the fatigue. Never in real danger, but real danger was only a bad choice or two away.

Driver8: I echo those feelings on Washington. Eisenhower is another great one. This has become a hugely popular summit over the years, but I love the egg shaped dome top and have always been fond of the big cairn.

West Bond is a favorite of mine as well, and I hiked Caribou Mountain for the first time last week. I love mountains just like that! Slab rock on top with patches of evergreens and plenty of open areas with 360 degree views. It reminds me of Hedgehog and some of the other small mountains along the Kanc. I took an hour nap on top before a young couple came along and offered me a PB&J on my way out. I appreciated the calories.

Maine must have a few people are thinking other than the Bigelows and Katahdin. Keep it coming!

I don't know if you really want to consider it different than Katahdin but I think the summit of Pamola Peak steals the show for me in Baxter (or at least what I have seen of it to date). I've made two trips up there as of this past weekend and maybe it was just because it was the first peak I did there but I was simply blown away as I crested the pointy, rocky top on Helon Taylor and saw the Knife Edge for the first time and the expanse of the South Basin. The shear rock walls with all the crystal clear lakes dotting the skyline. Genuine smile on my face moment. The summit of Katahdin I found very anti-climactic with it's fairly flat finish and crowds. I enjoyed it even less this time around. Katahdin is a lot like Washington for me. Lot of trails I really enjoy along the way up but I can do without that last little stretch to the summit.

West Bond. The feeling of being suspended over a vast world of green, with few signs of civilization visible (OK, it was hazy), was incredible. The fact that it's at the end of a spur makes the magic even better.

Out here in CO haven't found a favorite yet, they're all good, but none as green.

I've been thinking about this a bit, and I think Mt. Stairs is special to me.

For the Whites, my favorite are Isolation and Carrigain for the views. Tecumseh because that it the only one where I went all day and didn't see another person.

But my real favorite is one I haven't climbed yet. The one that always gets away.... I take a group of college students to Ecuador every year for a volunteer water project in a small community in the Andes. We've been up all the mountains (8000+ ft) in our valley assessing water supply. All except one. There's one giant that looms over the community and is almost always shrouded in clouds (10,000+ft). My students affectionately call it Mt. Doom, but really it's something like Akakana. The locals claim the top is a spiritual site. Every year we say we're going to climb it, and every year we're foiled by weather, or schedule, or some festival that is more important we attend. It's been 5 years and I still haven't been to the top. One of these days...

You'll get it one day, Amy, when it's ready for you. Funny thing how some mountains make you wait, and it's different mountains for each of us. I tried Washington twice before "sneaking up on it," unannounced, Father's Day five years ago, via the Jewell. By the time it knew I was coming, I was already there, and there was, much to my amazement, no wind to speak of as I posed for a summit photo. Turned out, it was, per the Obs, day 3 of a 5 day stretch which was the least windy in six decades. How about that?!?

West Bond. The feeling of being suspended over a vast world of green, with few signs of civilization visible (OK, it was hazy), was incredible. The fact that it's at the end of a spur makes the magic even better.

Out here in CO haven't found a favorite yet, they're all good, but none as green.

Believe it or not, Mt. Bierstadt is my favorite in CO to this point. Love the road up, Guanella pass is awesome to wake up in. The mountain itself is just cool, you can go across the Sawtooth Ridge, you can get lost in the Willow field going to Evans up Goofers gully. And twice, I've had the summit to myself with goats early in the morning.

A White Mt peak that doesn't get much love or talk is Flume. As summits go, it's not big or broad but I found it to be a sharp and prominent viewpoint. Only been there once but I enjoyed the hike and appreciate that type of summit. The Osseo approach is scenic and gradual but if you want something difficult, well Flume Slide Trail certainly qualifies. It can also be part of a Franconia Ridge traverse or part of the Pemi loop. I wonder how many people climb Flume vs Lafayette? 1:100? I guess the Liberty/Flume combo is another common option. I just think it's one of your more under-utilized and possibly under-appreciated peaks.

A White Mt peak that doesn't get much love or talk is Flume. As summits go, it's not big or broad but I found it to be a sharp and prominent viewpoint. Only been there once but I enjoyed the hike and appreciate that type of summit. The Osseo approach is scenic and gradual but if you want something difficult, well Flume Slide Trail certainly qualifies. It can also be part of a Franconia Ridge traverse or part of the Pemi loop. I wonder how many people climb Flume vs Lafayette? 1:100? I guess the Liberty/Flume combo is another common option. I just think it's one of your more under-utilized and possibly under-appreciated peaks.

Flume via Osseo is actually one, I repeat fairly often. I like the RR bed at the bottom, then the transition to the meandering switchbacks, to the stairs. The area above the stairs is really cool, kind of a mellow ridge till you climb up the gully to the tiny Col. Not everyone knows it, but at the junction of the FST, if you go east, there is a small herdpath to a pretty good outlook. The final climb up that narrow ridge is really nice and can be sporty the winter.

It also offers, imo, a better angle on the high Franconias than Liberty, while Liberty has the prettier summits (both having a double summit, with the higher of each being inward with respect to the other). I see Liberty as having the better view overall, but Flume the better directly south, up to and between Owl's Head and Liberty/Lafayette. Both very nice, among my faves.

Last edited:
MikePS, would you be willing to answer some questions about your Iceland trip if I sent you a private message? Cheers.

Flume via Osseo is actually one, I repeat fairly often. I like the RR bed at the bottom, then the transition to the meandering switchbacks, to the stairs. The area above the stairs is really cool, kind of a mellow ridge till you climb up the gully to the tiny Col. Not everyone knows it, but at the junction of the FST, if you go east, there is a small herdpath to a pretty good outlook. The final climb up that narrow ridge is really nice and can be sporty the winter.

I love Flume as well. So different than many other peaks, especially the shorter ones. Usually hit a few times a year, Summer and Winter. That unique amphitheater type shape and that first view from Osseo as you go up through that little porthole in the trees are awesome.

I love Flume as well. So different than many other peaks, especially the shorter ones. Usually hit a few times a year, Summer and Winter. That unique amphitheater type shape and that first view from Osseo as you go up through that little porthole in the trees are awesome.

To piggyback, I like the Liberty Flume pair quite a lot as well. In many ways I prefer them to Lincoln and Lafayette. The summit of Liberty with its upended jumbled house sized rock looks like another range. The flume slide is dramatic. Love how you can see where the mountain just fell off. When I've left early enough I've also had rare solitude on both. Great peaks.

Good thread, I love these.

I have a philosophy if the most recent peak I hiked is not my favorite then it must not be that good. So having just returned from a 2 week hiking trip in Scotland I have a few new favorites : (Torridon region - Slioch, Beinn En Eoin, Sgorr nan Lochan Uaine/Sgurr Dubh, and Beinn A Ghlo (Near Cairngorm NP). Beinn Ghoblach would also be in my top 10 if it had not been raining that day, it sits right on a Penninsula overlooking the sea). Personally I have not been in a region (Torridon) that remote with good peaks to climb that did not require snow/glacier gear. Sloich (a UK favorite) was the only Torridon peak where we saw any other hikers.

In the Northeast, closer to home my favorites (have been for many years)
1.) Colden Trap dike ascent with descent via east slide (NY ADKs)
2.) Mt Washington Huntington Ravine ascent with Boot Spur descent.
3.) Several out of Appalachia (eg King Ravine Ascent & Howker Ridge descent)
4.) l really like the Tri-Pyramid loop via Livermore Road Trail (I love brook walks)
5.) Sandwich dome loop (because it is very nice and not a 4000er, sees MUCH less crowds when I have been there then a typical NH peak)
6.) Gothics/Pyramid loop from AMR side

Franconia Ridge (Falling Waters/Bridle Path Loop) fell off my favorites list, it is a real circus these days. It used to be number 1 for me ~20 years ago. Still very nice, but not near my favorites anymore. Popular for good reason.

Elsewhere :
Washington State (north cascades) :
1.) Sourdough Lookout
2.) Hidden Lake Peak & Lookout
3.) Mt. Baker

Cheers ...

I guess I have two answers. First is Mount Greylock, which is close enough and small enough to provide me with hiking opportunities just about anytime I choose. There are quite a few trails on the mountain that can be combined in different loops so that hiking the same mountain does not become boring. It's better than going to a gym or spending more time driving than hiking. And there is a view from the top (weather permitting). My second answer is Grand Teton National Park. Not too much there for dayhikes, but there is good backpacking and mountaineering (my favorite activity). Still haven't skied Jackson Hole, but it's on my list.

This is interesting. I would never have put Greylock among my favorites, but when I think about it, in late April and early May, it may be my favorite. It have very nice forests and a nice long Brook walk when doing the 11 mile loop from the West side. And that time of year, no snow when the peaks up north are still snow and mono rail covered. We could do some spin off threads on what are your favorite peaks for each season. The Tongue Range at Lake George was the same way, I would hike this in 2H April & 1H May when I lived in the Champlain Valley.

Thanks Mike, I'll be sending off some questions soon.

To piggyback, I like the Liberty Flume pair quite a lot as well. In many ways I prefer them to Lincoln and Lafayette. The summit of Liberty with its upended jumbled house sized rock looks like another range. The flume slide is dramatic. Love how you can see where the mountain just fell off. When I've left early enough I've also had rare solitude on both. Great peaks.

Aka, Fliberty.:D

Love that Flume-Liberty duo. In fact on a winter backpack a long time ago, I encountered my first ever "don't step wrong or you'll fall a LONG way" situation where there was a 10 yard stretch going S->N on a deep but stable cornice right at the summit of Flume (I think?!?). Single file snowshoe tracks were the only option, and a step to the left would have meant a whole lot of air. Not many of those places in the Whites. That'll get your attention!

Been pondering this since you posted it and the trite answer is that it is a tossup between my last peak (Ernest LaForce in Gaspesie Canadian NP) and the next one (Eagle Mtn. MN high point).

Well, those aren't the most challenging nor dramatic of the peaks I favor so I wondered further, what makes a favorite peak for me and I guess I'd break it down into five items: time above treeline, attractive natural features along the way such as ponds, waterfalls, wildlife, a sense of solitude and of being removed from the everyday, challenge and the composition of a larger context e.g who I'm with, where we ate, where we camped or stayed. With that in mind, here are some "favorites".

Baxter Park - Katahdin, especially the Knife Edge, Traveler loop, Doubletop - just love the park ... been going there at least every other year for some 20 years. One trailed peak left of a personal peakbagging mission but many miles left, and visits, of redlining.

Bigelow Range - Maine.

WMNF of NH - Presidential partial traverses, Franconia Ridge, Moosilauke (I was sick starting this hike the first time but I guess the adrenaline cured me of whatever had ailed me!).

Zion NP - Angels Landing, a hike reminiscent of Knife Edge but a totally different environment and, upon reaching the peak, you literally appreciate the namesake.

Tetons and Yellowstone - Our home away from home, though we don't own anything there ... that's reserved for billionaires ... but we have a peakbagging mission of lesser peaks (Hanging Canyon, Blacktail Butte, and Washburn all have very special memories and a visit to this area is always preceded or followed by a foray elsewhere into Montana or Wyoming).

Canadian Maritimes offer adventures on land and at sea and the mountains reach tree line at lower elevations - Jacques Cartier and its small caribou herd in Gaspesie NP, Tablelands and bit of Long Range in Gros Morne NP - so near but so far.

Just bragging ... a sample of favorites!