Mass. man drowns in Franconia Brook

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right where Backpacker suggests swimming with kids! Not the first. Hopefully the last but it doesn't seem likely.

Unfortunately, a very dangerous spot. Prior to this, August 2015 was the most recent death there - a 17-year-old. Before that, I couldn't find anything online but recall a man who fell in trying to rescue his dog a few years back (the dog survived), the body took at least a few days to find.

Very sad!!!! :(

Something I read, is that when the water is extremely aerated, like at the base of a falls, the buoyancy of the water is decreased. You are basically in a free fall to the bottom of the pool.

Something I read, is that when the water is extremely aerated, like at the base of a falls, the buoyancy of the water is decreased. You are basically in a free fall to the bottom of the pool.

My experience on a whitewater rafting trip confirms what you read.

I was actually there yesterday. I was swimming a few hours earlier and although the water level was moderate, nobody was really struggling with it. I wonder where he tried to go in? Certainly not the upstream pool or the pool below the water chute.

Because those locations are not dangerous OR because those are places a prudent person would avoid? Thanks.
Maybe means that because there are so many people around?

I've never been lucky enough in Summer to be there when there weren't huge crowds. If he was trying, for example, to get up on those slippery rocks (I think below the slide?) there would in an instant be a chain of people pulling him up. Must have been some more isolated portion of the area or a really early or late time.