Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Huntingtons Ravine Rescue Call

West Hartford, CT (Photo: Sages Ravine, Salisbury, CT)
    Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    As I learned on a thread the other day, the autoroad welcomes people to hike the road with the exception of special events, thus no permission is apparently required. IMHO during the daytime, its not a great idea due to narrow non existent shoulders.
    That was my thinking. Would be fine for descent on a nice summer night. Especially with nice moonlight. Wouldn't want to contend with auto traffic in the daytime, for their sake or mine!
    NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; NEFF: 14/50; Northeast 4K: 27/115

https://www.facebook.com/Arkie.in.CT
    http://www.panoramio.com/user/5078936?show=all

Quote Originally Posted by TJsName View Post
    That is an important distinction. You could prove it by finding someone who read the sign and went around. Much easier than finding everyone who read the sign and confirming they ignored it.
    Signs or not the participant still needs to accurately assess their personal skill set. There is no bridge keeper asking three questions which you must correctly answer before you can pass. The folks wether it be the leader whom had done this trail previously or the entire group obviously miscalculated their skill set in this situation. Mainly underestimating the amount of time they needed to safely complete their hike on their own.
    "I'm getting up and going to work everyday and I am stoked. That does not suck!"__Shane McConkey

wow. I did not know that. I actually assumed it was not allowed to hike on it. Thanks.

As I learned on a thread the other day, the autoroad welcomes people to hike the road with the exception of special events, thus no permission is apparently required. IMHO during the daytime, its not a great idea due to narrow non existent shoulders.
    Luck is where preparation meets opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by skiguy View Post
    There is no bridge keeper asking three questions which you must correctly answer before you can pass.
    What is the capital of Assyria?

Quote Originally Posted by skiguy View Post
    Signs or not the participant still needs to accurately assess their personal skill set. There is no bridge keeper asking three questions which you must correctly answer before you can pass. The folks wether it be the leader whom had done this trail previously or the entire group obviously miscalculated their skill set in this situation. Mainly underestimating the amount of time they needed to safely complete their hike on their own.
    I wouldn't argue with that. This feels like hubris again. To be clear, I chalk a lot of issue like this up to hubris. I don't mean it as a judgement against one's character, so much as a flaw in the human condition that leads us to make mistakes. I would be highly skeptical of anyone claiming they were never guilty of it.

For example, on Sunday while ascending the Castle Trail we came across a group where one member was clearly struggling. They had ascended Caps Ridge and were planning to return to their car via the Link. 6.7 miles and 2850' doesn't sound huge, but it's a rough hike where one not accustomed to the terrain can easily get fatigued. I suggested that the group split up, sending some across the link to get the car and the rest down the Castle Trail to Bowman to get picked up which I believe became their plan. The far superior footing on the rest of the Castle (below the Link) certainly justified the extra elevation drop and distance. They had maps and flashlights, so the thought was to make it easiest on the struggling member. Did I judge the group for getting into this situation? No - I did it myself to a friend many years ago. We all make mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by dug View Post
    What is the capital of Assyria?
    First Ashur then Nineveh
    "I am a pilgrim and a stranger"

Quote Originally Posted by TCD View Post
    In the Adirondacks, the 46ers are just starting a "trailhead steward" program (which I have long advocated, and am delighted to see). This puts a human at the trailhead, who can actually have a conversation with users, emphasizing a few important points. This will work, but it's expensive. This would be a good program on which to spend some state money (maybe in NH, Fish and Game fine money?).
    This already exists in the WMNF, but not at every trailhead. The locations I personally know of are Appalachia, Champney Falls, and Falling Waters.
    Proprietor: NH 52 With A View Facebook group
    Books: New Hampshire's 52 With A View - A Hiker's Guide; AMC Southern NH Trail Guide, 5th Edition; AMC White Mountain Guide, 31st Edition

Quote Originally Posted by Dingo View Post
    This already exists in the WMNF, but not at every trailhead. The locations I personally know of are Appalachia, Champney Falls, and Falling Waters.
    Ammonoosuc Ravine is also one. There's a fifth I can't recall. The trailhead steward program has been very successful by all accounts I have heard. They report numerous people going back to cars to add essential gear or altering plans to more reasonable hikes based on their desires and experience.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/white...STELPRD3797312

Ask Billski. He's pretty involved in it as a volunteer. My assumption is the ADKs are basing their program on the successful first two years of the WMNF program.

As far as signage goes, I agree with comments about over signage. I've said here before that there's a critical mass of signs just like spoken words. Write (or say) what is important in few words. Then stop. I counted 55 signs from where I stood in a pool not long ago. Give me 2-3 signs, I read. 55? Don't bother. It makes none of them important. It's the equivalent of the teacher on Peanuts who is never heard. Want people to pay attention? Use as few words as possible about what is important. Repeat.
    Humankind has not woven the web of life.
    We are but one thread within it.
    Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves.
    All things are bound together.
    All things connect.
    ~ Chief Seattle, 1854 ~

Quote Originally Posted by Raven View Post
    Ammonoosuc Ravine is also one. There's a fifth I can't recall.
    Welch-Dickey maybe? There were a couple of rangers at the trailhead when I was up there last year at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Brambor View Post
    wow. I did not know that. I actually assumed it was not allowed to hike on it. Thanks.
    I used the auto rd. as an escape hatch a couple of years ago. After ascending Nelson Crag Trail and arriving at the summit later than expected, I factored in the state of my legs and the questionable forecast and chose to walk down the road to my car at the 2 mile post parking area. It was a weekday so the traffic was not relentless. Even so, you have to be alert and always ready to step off the road onto the shoulder. All in all, it was a good decision. The route was longer but I could simply march downhill with an easy stride rather pick my way down a steep trail. Purists might scoff but I know that for me, on that day, it was the right call.
    "I am a pilgrim and a stranger"

[QUOTE=peakbagger;439961]Barring bad weather, there is enough light at 8 PM out to head over to the autoroad via the Alpine Garden trail before it gets dark. Far less of emergency then a rescue on the ravine trail. I expect they will be writing a check to F&G.

Correct sir! But this requires, albeit a small amount, some critical thinking skills.

Not worth a new thread yet but there was another rescue in the ravine this weekend. I expect its not the first of the summer season.

I've walked down the down he auto road after ascending Lion's head when only a few inches of snow was on the ground in November. It was slick enough to make the trails slow going, however, not enough to fill in between all the rocks. A couple of guys were descending with minor leg injuries. Had we descended a trail, it would have been much slower. The road had some drifts and a few bare spots as you may expect.

Weather, gear and trail knowledge had to be right for this to be a good idea, too windy and not having most of our cold weather clothing would mean being out above the trees and exposed for a few miles on the road. We were able to walk at a good pace on a road so that was a plus. It was an average November day, 20's and with a 15-20 mile wind. We also knew that the Road and the Old Jackson Road brought us back to the car. We had maps but knew which trails and options had good footing In this case, good footing was worth the extra miles. A road walk on a full moon would be nice too.
    Have fun & be safe
    Mike P.

Not worth a new thread yet but there was another rescue in the ravine this weekend. I expect its not the first of the summer season.
    http://www.wmur.com/article/rescuers...ledge/21068966

Quote Originally Posted by TCD View Post

In the Adirondacks, the 46ers are just starting a "trailhead steward" program (which I have long advocated, and am delighted to see). This puts a human at the trailhead, who can actually have a conversation with users, emphasizing a few important points. This will work, but it's expensive. This would be a good program on which to spend some state money (maybe in NH, Fish and Game fine money?).
    I know a lot of you on this board are not fans of the AMC but I have always found the AMC staff at the Pinkham Notch Visitors Center to be helpful in this capacity.
    "The laborers day ends with the going down of the sun, and he is then free to
    devote himself to his chosen pursuit, independent of his labor and his
    employer". Henry David Thoreau