NASCAR this weekend - traffic hours on Sunday?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fuzzy

Reaction score
I forgot about NASCAR this weekend and will be heading south on Sunday. Crud.

What hours should I try and NOT be on the road (93S) to avoid traffic?

or

When is it safe to head south?

or

Should I give up and spend an extra day in the mountains?

(I do so hate traffic)

I'm glad you mentioned that! I had a hike planned SUN too and had forgotten all about it. I think I'll just add miles to my hike and get out of the woods later. :)

In my experience they've done a decent job in year past with traffic management. It might add 20-30 minutes to your drive though. Hard to disagree with spending more time in the mountains though. :)

The Sunday race doesn't start until 3:00 this year, so I wouldn't expect traffic to get bad southbound until around 7-8 o'clock.

I went through Concord around 7:45 PM and it got "sluggish" for a mile or so, say 30-40 mph. Ton of cars were still getting on highway but they closed several exits, set up cones so merges didn't happen until well down the highway and allowed use of shoulder. Seemed like it was all being handled pretty well.

I went through Concord around 7:45 PM and it got "sluggish" for a mile or so, say 30-40 mph. Ton of cars were still getting on highway but they closed several exits, set up cones so merges didn't happen until well down the highway and allowed use of shoulder. Seemed like it was all being handled pretty well.

I left Concord around noon and they had already closed some on-raps (393 and RT 3). Traffic in the two lanes was heavy but flowing. I used the shoulder, which was getting a lot less use at the time despite the many signs indicating to use it. The should had been swept, so there was no debris. I now have the answer to 'why did they pave over the rumble strips'.

The Southern 93/293 merge came to a standstill around 5pm, then flowed freely until Exit 4 where it stopped again. After that it was fine. It seems to me like a lot of people left early to avoid the race traffic, which seems to have helped based on the other reports here.