Old trail near Algonquin Trail, Sandwich, N.H.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srhigham

Reaction score
I was bushwhacking about 1/4 mile east of the Algonquin Trail at about 2200 ft elevation and crossed a well-preserved old trail running NW/SE. I didn't follow it. I suppose it could have been an old logging road kept open by moose and deer, but it sure looked like a well-preserved old hiking trail. Anyone know enough about the history of this area and know if there were other trails in that area?

Thanks

I think that was an access to Black Mountain Pond, providing the shortest route for construction and maintenance of the former shelter. I suspect it still sees occasion use by hikers and campers going to the pond.

Except the section that I saw was oriented as if the trail was going from the upper reaches of the Algonquin, to the lower reaches of the Black Mountain Pond Trail. Not at all similar to the lower cross-trail that appeared on old topo maps.

Could be Old North Road. Steve mentions it in a few posts, like here and here. Not sure though - just a guess.

Last edited:
I've tried unsuccessfully to get a WMNF map showing old logging roads, fire roads etc. to help me answer this kind of question. I would think there'd be one for fire fighting purposes. Old topos are sometimes ... rarely? ... helpful. psmart seems to have the best answer and something temporary probably wouldn't show up on any map anyway.

I know this area pretty well. I like to do a loop via Algonquin to top of Black MT and drop down to Black Mt Pond and return via the old roads. I say roads plural because there are 2 of them. I first became interested in them because Nat Geo Topo edition of USGS maps showed this old road running from the pond back to Algonquin Trail just to point where it begins to get steep not far from Beaver meadows. Sadly I lost Nat Geo Topo in my last upgrade to Windows 10. In beginning I just used to start whacking and stumble on the road. By third time I decided to back track up the trail when I came across it and discovered the starting point which I believe is where (I think) the shelter used to be. I've never seen the shelter so its kind of like giving directions to someone and telling them to turn left at the location where the something used to be. Anyway the road leaves the map location of the road and swings south of where Topo showed the old road and eventually meets up with the other old road. Last time I tried to find the old road shown on Topo and did actually find it. Unlike the more popular road, this one appears to be rarely used which explains why I didn't notice where it split off the other one. If this makes sense to you God bless you. Next time I go back I'll nail that other old road and I will go back because the old roads make a damn nice loop hike. I love the view of Black Mt Pond from Black Mt and trail down to pond is fun scramble. There are also some neat off-trail ledges that are also interesting to visit.

This is interesting info on old roads and trails near Black Mountain, but the thing I saw was too high up and oriented the wrong way. I wonder (if what I saw was a real trail) if it is a connector from one of the old North Roads to the upper Algonquin.

P.S. Garmin Basecamp shows the connector trail or old road from Algonquin (low) to Black Mountain Pond.

There is an old road or trail right at the only substantial stream crossing on the Algonquin, going east, blocked by a small downed tree. Is this one of the old roads mentioned on this thread?