Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Thoreau Falls Bridge Removal - 30 Comment Period for Revised Assessment

Quote Originally Posted by rocket21 View Post
    I don't agree with the decision. Further, I don't agree with the premise that the historic bridge could be removed, yet logging remains that are only a relative few years older must be preserved, because of arbitrary parameters.

I think the Forest Service is, pun intended, burning bridges with their recent bridge removal decisions and implementation strategies. It's very unfortunate.
    Definitely needed to be removed being replaced was another matter. I understand possible discrepancies in policy. But comparing an old rotten bridge to pins, rails and old rusted teapots I don’t see the correlation. Unless there is some other structure you are alluding to. As a note “The bridge” was built in the early 60’s where logging operations began in 1894. That is IMO more than just a relative few years.
    Last edited by skiguy; 10-05-2018 at 02:35 PM.
    "I'm getting up and going to work everyday and I am stoked. That does not suck!"__Shane McConkey

There is enough leeway in the WMNF Forest Plan for the supervisor to justify keeping the bridge or removing it. I could easily use the text for the Decisions for the Great Gulf bridge or the Dry River bridge and edit it to justify keeping this bridge. OR the long lamented suspension bridge.

Has there been a single non-AT shelter rebuilt in the WMNF in the last 40 years?

I read here that the GMC was able to amend the GMNF Forest Plan to ensure those shelters could be maintained and replaced. I have never checked if that is true but it so, then the WMNF battle was lost a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Murphy View Post
    There is enough leeway in the WMNF Forest Plan for the supervisor to justify keeping the bridge or removing it. I could easily use the text for the Decisions for the Great Gulf bridge or the Dry River bridge and edit it to justify keeping this bridge. OR the long lamented suspension bridge.

Has there been a single non-AT shelter rebuilt in the WMNF in the last 40 years?

I read here that the GMC was able to amend the GMNF Forest Plan to ensure those shelters could be maintained and replaced. I have never checked if that is true but it so, then the WMNF battle was lost a long time ago.
    They replaced the Dry River bridge this year didn't they?
    NH 48 4k: 48/48; NH W48k: 46/48; NY 46: 6/46

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Murphy View Post
    Are there any non AT shelters outside of Wilderness that have been removed? I feel like they've been consistent with the shelters in Wilderness and have done work on ones outside like Sawyer Pond. Ore Hill wasn't rebuilt and it was an AT shelter. Same with Webster Slide and Zeacliff Pond. I'm sure there were others that have been lost.

There was a shelter at Zeacliff Pond??
    And by Webster Slide do you mean the old Nauman Shelters below Mt Jackson?

When was the Zeacliff Pond shelter removed? My 1969 maps do not show it

The Nauman site had 2 shelters (stayed there in 67), I always look for the old site when I pass that way. Never been able to locate it.
    Last edited by maineguy; 10-07-2018 at 02:06 PM.

'Springtime' on the Carters (Somerville, MA)
    Quote Originally Posted by maineguy View Post
    There was a shelter at Zeacliff Pond??
    And by Webster Slide do you mean the old Nauman Shelters below Mt Jackson?
    Webster Slide is a mountain south of Moosilauke along the AT. There is a pond, and a side trail that climbs up to the top of the cliff. I suspect the shelter was by the pond.
    | 63.0% W48: 19/48
    Trail Adopter of the Guinea Pond Trail

According to my old notes, the old DOC shelter was on top of Webster slide, not actually beside Wachipauka Pond which we locally called Meader Pond. When I lived in NH it was literally in my back yard.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillwalker View Post
    According to my old notes, the old DOC shelter was on top of Webster slide, not actually beside Wachipauka Pond which we locally called Meader Pond. When I lived in NH it was literally in my back yard.
    According to old AMC guides (1972 and 1976) the DOC shelter was just below the summit, and was scheduled to be dismantled circa 1976. A quick look at the 1979 guide shows it's no longer mentioned.

Thanks for the info on the Wachipauka Shelter. I found the info in my 69 guidebook. I had never heard of it, mainly because I have never hiked that area.

I used to hike up there from my house to fly fish. Lots of Trout in that pond.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillwalker View Post
    Wachipauka Pond which we locally called Meader Pond.
    If you listen closely, in the winter you can hear the cries of "MEADAAAHHHH PONNNNNND!" coming from the snowmobilers as they tear across it in the middle of the night.

Quote Originally Posted by TJsName View Post
    I suspect the shelter was by the pond.
    It was right at the view point to the pond on top of the slide. The clearing is still there and is an amazing campsite. Everyone skips it to get to the hostel so the only folks going up there are dayhikers/redliners and lazy winter backpackers. I'm not all that sad about the sign going missing.

Quote Originally Posted by skiguy View Post
    Definitely needed to be removed being replaced was another matter.
    An engineer I know (former bridge engineer) said the bridge could have been saved.

Not worth a new thread, but I just did the Molly Route and then up Thoreau Falls Trail for the first time in a couple of years, and the Thoreau Falls Trail is pretty much dissolving into the hillside. Is it part of the plan just to let it disappear? The lower roadbed will last for many decades but even there the step-over and walk-around blowdowns, easy enough now, are going to start making skiing a chore.

The moose seem pretty comfortable with the place now that all the people are gone, never saw such piles of crap.