Crypt Lake Trail, Waterton NP, AB (near Glacier NP) - worth it?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwinMom+1

Reaction score
Anyone done the Crypt Lake Trail in Waterton Nat'l Park in Canada, across the border from Glacier NP? Is it worth it? I heard about it after we planned our Glacier lodging, and while it's not super convenient, there's a day where we could make it happen. We're departing Labor Day which means less crowds but also fewer/later ferries to the starting point for what is supposedly 5 miles ascent/2300' gain/estimated 3 hours one way. And not sure a full dip in the mountain lake will be as appealing in Sept if temps are colder.

Only saw 1 post here from a few years ago (DougPaul, fall 2014) so wasn't sure if others have done it since. I'd like to compare it to Angel's Landing in Zion, whose steep dropoff and sketchy chain-rail ladder freaked out of my sons. If it's just like any other steep ledge in the Whites with reasonable footing we're fine. Spoke to someone who did it a month ago and loved it.

Thanks in advance to the group that knows everything!

Mary Kae - 48/48 NH4Ks, 67/67 NE4Ks, 72/100 NEHH but who's counting.

I still think it is worth doing... :)

The approach to Angel's Landing is a knife edge (with a railing). The "interesting" section of the trail to Crypt Lake traverses a steep slope--it is incut and had a cable for handholds. IMO, Crypt Lake trail is less scary--even my exposure-adverse mother made it. (She would not have made it up Angel's Landing.)

Both are technically very easy--the issue is subjective risk (ie fear of exposure).

FWIW, I hiked Crypt Lake when I was in grade or high school, Angel's Landing much more recently.

Doug

I still think it is worth doing... :)

The approach to Angel's Landing is a knife edge (with a railing). The "interesting" section of the trail to Crypt Lake traverses a steep slope--it is incut and had a cable for handholds. IMO, Crypt Lake trail is less scary--even my exposure-adverse mother made it. (She would not have made it up Angel's Landing.)

Both are technically very easy--the issue is subjective risk (ie fear of exposure).

FWIW, I hiked Crypt Lake when I was in grade or high school, Angel's Landing much more recently.

Doug

Thank so much, Doug! The stars are aligning in Waterton accommodations too so I think we're going for it.
Very grateful for the intel on its challenging section. - If you have other Glacier area hike recomnendations I'd love them. I understand that wildfire/smoke have closed certain trails but I'm monitoring that online.

If you have other Glacier area hike recomnendations I'd love them. I understand that wildfire/smoke have closed certain trails but I'm monitoring that online.
Bear activity can also close trails.

Your best resource may be to ask a ranger (particularly at the backcountry office). Others here may also have suggestions.

I haven't been there since I was in grade school, so I am reaching back quite a ways:
* Crypt Lake (of course...)
* Grinnell Glacier--may not be reachable by trail any more, but hiking to the cirque would be nice. (I was 3, so I don't recall many details...) This was a ranger-led hike and he took us across a safe section of the glacier.
* Iceberg Lake with side trip to Ptarmigan Lake.
* Logan Pass to Granite Park Chalet via the Highline Tr (day 1). Stay at Granite Park Chalet. Through Swiftcurrent Pass to Swiftcurrent Mtn, then down and out to Many Glacier (day 2). Requires a car spot (and a reservation at Granite Park Chalet).
* Numa Ridge Lookout (From Bowman Lake Ranger Station).

My uncle was a ranger there so we visited him and often hiked nearby. He preferred the wilder postings...

Doug