Grant Tetons and a Grand Eclipse!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Rankin

Reaction score
We traveled out to the Grand Tetons by way of Salt Lake City.

Our only peakbagging was Dooley Knob, on Antelope Island, in the Great Salt Lake. It was a fairly short hike, maybe 2 miles, and 700-800' of gain. It was extremely dry the entire time we were out west, at least by my standards. The views always looked a little washed out, but they were 360 on the summit. A raven was annoyed that we had temporarily occupied his perch. The elevation here was only 5,000' so we did not experience any altitude issues.

After picking up my son and his wife, we headed up to the Grand Tetons, arriving at dusk at Colter Bay, where we stayed for several days. We did some easy hikes to water falls, and lakes, etc. We also scoped out a good place to watch the eclipse. That included views of the mountains, and a porta-potty! :D

Monday we got up very early and drove to our chosen location. Surprisingly, there were only a few people there and the roads never got congested. I think a lot of people must have opted to go further south for a few more seconds of totality, but I was content with our spot and a mellow pre-eclipse ramp up. There was everything from babies to seasoned Eclipse veterans at our venue.

If you've never seen totality, there is just no comparison to videos, drawings, or photos. It came on slowly at first, with subtle changes in the light and cooler temperatures. Venus and Jupiter became visible. Most people had eclipse glasses on and were safely watching the moon slowly advance across the face of the sun. I pointed out Sun spots in my binoculars to my family and other viewers. As the Moon eventually covered the entire Sun, the sky rapidly darkened, and the Corona suddenly came into view in all its glory. Even though I'd see it happen twice before, I was almost driven to my knees by the spectacle, and I was momentarily breathless. I recovered my self and started looking through the binoculars, now unfiltered. It was stunning. There were many prominences circling the sun (they look like red/pink flames). We passed the binoculars around for a few minutes, and stared in awe. But then suddenly, I could see the intense glare of the Sun start to peek around the other edge of the moon and I called out for everyone to resume using eclipse glasses. I turned to watch the mountains and saw the light increase rapidly. It was all over. We lingered until the moon finally left the disk of the sun, but it was sort of anti-climactic.

I did not take any eclipse shots, because it would have been a lot more gear to haul around, and I knew that others would easily out class me.

The next day we went to Yellowstone and saw Old Faithful and the Grand Prismatic Hot Springs. They are truly wonders of nature, but they fell a little flat.

2024 will offer another chance to see an Eclipse cross thru upper New England. Don't miss it!

Pics:

This album is 'public' but you have to be logged into facebook to view it.

https://www.facebook.com/tfrankin/media_set?set=a.10213728250710843.1073741847.1542878017&type=3

I viewed totality from a friend's home, that happened to be on the center line as totality passed through Missouri. The was my second clear sky view of a total solar eclipse. But the first in 1970 is a long time ago. I got clouded out in Quebec in 1972. My overall experience and emotion match Tom's.But I bet he did not have the 90+ degree temp with high humidity that I had. I did have a view through a 4" refractor telescope, but opted to not fuss with photography, less I miss the shortest 2m38s of my life. In 2024, totality passes right over my home in northern NY.

In the high humidity, the temp in MO dropped maybe 10 degrees, enough to notice, but not enough to be really comfortable. What I saw was a "black hole in the sky", surrounded by colorful prominences and the bright white corona, all set in an indigo, not quite fully dark sky. Nearby the prominent star Regulus was easy to notice, with Venus a bit farther away and 360 degree colorful "sunset" colors on the horizon.

I watched the eclipse from Marion, IL. Met with an organized bunch of eclipse junkies in Columbia, MO, and due to a poor weather forecast made a mad dash SE starting at 4:30am and ending up in Marion. Had scattered clouds, but had a nice opening for totality. It was a grand show!

Went well armed and took just over 200 pics during and near totality. Two samples:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Doug

Attachments

• corona_9241s.jpg
    corona_9241s.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 259
  • ring1_9186s.jpg
    ring1_9186s.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 263
Last edited:
I watched the eclipse from Marion, IL. Met with an organized bunch of eclipse junkies in Columbia, MO, and due to a poor weather forecast made a mad dash SE starting at 4:30am and ending up in Marion. Had scattered clouds, but had a nice opening for totality. It was a grand show!

Went well armed and took just over 200 pics during and near totality. Two samples:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Doug

Wow! How come VFTT does not have a like button? I tried to take some pictures of the partial eclipse in NYC, but clearly I did not have much chance without some filter even though I tried setting aperture as high as possible and the speed as fast as possible the Sun just came out too bright for anything sensible. The only acceptable pictures I got were through borrowed eclipse glasses.

Wow! How come VFTT does not have a like button? I tried to take some pictures of the partial eclipse in NYC, but clearly I did not have much chance without some filter even though I tried setting aperture as high as possible and the speed as fast as possible the Sun just came out too bright for anything sensible. The only acceptable pictures I got were through borrowed eclipse glasses.
If you don't use a proper sun filter, you risk damaging your camera and/or blinding yourself. Get a proper filter if you want to photograph the sun (including during a partial eclipse). A proper filter only lets 1/100000 of the visible light through (called an ND5 filter) and also blocks IR and UV. (Eclipse glasses use such a filter.)

Info on viewing and photographing eclipses (I know, "now I tell you", but it is in time for the 2024 eclipse visible here in the NE):
http://astropix.com/html/i_astrop/2017_eclipse/Eclipse_2017.html
http://www.mreclipse.com/SEphoto/SEphoto.html
http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2017/eclipse.shtml
2024 eclipse:
https://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEgoogle/SEgoogle2001/SE2024Apr08Tgoogle.html

Doug

Last edited:
i ordered several sets of paper/film eclipse glasses from Amazon. They were supposed to be ISO certified as safe for solar viewing. They were for my grandkids in Texas. A week before the eclipse, Amazon sent me an email saying that what I got was not in fact up to ISO specs (from China) and Amazon refunded my money. A Google search showed there were a lot of those fake glasses floating around. I saw several people hawking "eclipse glasses" on street corners of the city I was in... hmmm, I wonder...
Luckily I found a local source for eclipse glasses (from Celestron) that all indications said were safe. So I left them with the kids in Texas while I traveled to totality in MO. I also had several pieces of #14 welder's glass, known to be safe (use in several previous eclipses showed no ill effects) and a couple pair of real glass eclipse glasses bought months ago. Of course I had a proper filter covering the objective end of my telescope while i viewed the partial phase through it.

Last edited: