Most Difficult Trail In The Northeast

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's pretty much referred to as the "Lincoln Slide". The Whack at the bottom is not to bad, but it can be wet and boggy.

I actually did the Lincoln Slide to a north Owlie BW for my Bachelorette Party (bachelorettes were Jeremy Clark, Eric Rathbun and Patrick LaFrenier AKA Forestgnome) and I didn't find any of it to be what I would describe as the most difficult routes.

One that I haven't tried because I do think it's extremely difficult is the former North Percy Trail.

I think Stinky Feet did it this summer :eek:

Ja, und zen you und Helmut could share a couple of biers und ein wienerschnitzel at ze top. :) :)

lol, you got me on that typo. Funny thing is, I was a cook in German restaurant for a few year's. That food was so good. But nothing cures a hangover like a foot long, wiener schnitzel sandwich. :eek:

Most of the routes on Webster, require ropes. While they are not really that hard when roped, you could find yourself in a pickle unroped, if your not sound on technical terrain. The large slabs have established rock routes on them, some easy, some pretty hard. The gullies themselves are actually better climbed in the winter. They are loaded with loose rock. You could always go up and recon one. I would wear a Helmut anytime, up there.
I have only been up Central Couloir, so I can't speak for the other gullies, but it was dry enough when we were there that except for the approach (snow in the woods) and the 1 or 2 pitches of easy ice at mid-height that it was basically summer conditions. The hazard in the gully was the loose bowling-ball sized rocks, not the steepness. I can only guess what the rock under the ice was like. (IIRC, the ice wasn't any steeper than the gully.) The top 20-30? ft was high-angle rock with very good holds (easy, but exposed).

We only used ropes over the ice and soloed the top section. However, if you have a non-climber along, a rope might be a good idea for the top section--all three of us were experienced rock and ice leaders. (Don't forget that someone will have to lead any roped sections...)

Doug

I hiked the North and South Tripyramid slides this past weekend. I wouldn't say they were difficult as much as scary steep. It took us two hours to go the 1.2 miles to the summit. I was being very cautious. I dont like heights. Or falling. My girlfriend slipped in some loose scree towards the top and slid a few feet. That her blood pumping. We stayed to the left side, while another yacky couple stayed on the right and eventualy passed us. We met them on the summit of North Tripyramid and then again on South Slide. Still talking.

In general, I'd look in technical climbing info sources rather than hiking sources.

My ice climbing guidebooks describe several routes on Webster: Shoestring Gully, Horseshoe Gully, and Central Couloir.

I've climbed Central Couloir as the start of a winter Prezzie traverse. It was mostly loose rock with lots of loose basketball-sized rocks* plus a couple pitches of easy ice. Finish with a short easy vertical rock climb. We used protection (ropes etc) for the ice portion.)
* You do not want to be below another party in this gully...

I didn't see any mention of Webster in my rock climbing guidebooks.

My technical climbing guidebooks are pretty old--there might be more info in newer ones.

There are a number of old threads mentioning routes on Webster:
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en..._occt=any&safe=images&as_filetype=&as_rights=

Also try:
https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&q=webster+cliff+rock+climbing,
https://www.google.com/search?q=webster+cliff+ice+climbing,
and https://www.google.com/search?q=webster+cliff+gully+routes.
I suggest that you focus on the gully routes (I presume that you are not interested in the harder technical routes.)

Doug

Thanks for these links. Looks like a good place to start some research. I was curious if there was such a thing as a "trail map" for climbing routes like there are for regular trails. My climbing would not be Winter though. Only Summer/shoulder seasons when ice is not a factor.

Thanks for these links. Looks like a good place to start some research. I was curious if there was such a thing as a "trail map" for climbing routes like there are for regular trails. My climbing would not be Winter though. Only Summer/shoulder seasons when ice is not a factor.
Climbing guidebooks (and web guides) include route descriptions often with a sketch or photograph with the route lines drawn in.

If you are interested in doing these routes, I recommend that you get some instruction in rock climbing--the route finding skills, climbing skills, and risk assessment/management will be important. (Following tends to emphasize climbing skills and leading brings in route finding and risk assessment/management.)

Doug

DayTrip, you might enjoy Mt. Mansfield's many difficult trails. I've been redlining the "Long Trail Side 2 Side" trails and recently spent a solid day goofing off on Vermont's highest peak.

From Nebraska Notch to Smugglers' Notch, including the Long Trail, Mansfield has about 30 miles of trail. The Green Mountain Club puts out a map specific to Mansfield, and all trails are graded like ski trails, from green circles (easiest), to blue squares, to one, two, and even three (!) black diamonds.

Triple black diamond trails include Hell Brook, Cliff Trail and Subway, with double black diamonds Canyon, Wampahoofus, Halfway House, Laura Cowles, and Profanity Trails. (I would also include the LT itself from The Forehead to Butler Lodge.) Subway, Cliff, Canyon, and even a short section of Rock Garden reminded me a bit of the floor of King Ravine, Mahoosuc Notch, and Ice Gulch. Think ladders, body contortions, & crawling on hands and knees. Fun!!

DayTrip, you might enjoy Mt. Mansfield's many difficult trails. I've been redlining the "Long Trail Side 2 Side" trails and recently spent a solid day goofing off on Vermont's highest peak.

From Nebraska Notch to Smugglers' Notch, including the Long Trail, Mansfield has about 30 miles of trail. The Green Mountain Club puts out a map specific to Mansfield, and all trails are graded like ski trails, from green circles (easiest), to blue squares, to one, two, and even three (!) black diamonds.

Triple black diamond trails include Hell Brook, Cliff Trail and Subway, with double black diamonds Canyon, Wampahoofus, Halfway House, Laura Cowles, and Profanity Trails. (I would also include the LT itself from The Forehead to Butler Lodge.) Subway, Cliff, Canyon, and even a short section of Rock Garden reminded me a bit of the floor of King Ravine, Mahoosuc Notch, and Ice Gulch. Think ladders, body contortions, & crawling on hands and knees. Fun!!

Thanks. Someone previously mentioned Hell Brook. As of right now, I haven't done any hiking in VT. It sounded ridiculously crowded, I am not a big fan of artificial objects on summits and I can't say many of the peaks actually interested me with few exceptions. The 4k's in VT are also a major drive from my house so I'd need to coordinate camping like when I go to NY.

I'll have to double check the map set I have (I think it was recommended to me on VFTT). Maybe it has this rating and I didn't even realize it. I'm pretty sure I'm going to plot at least one trip there next year. Do any of these trails involve squeezes like The Subway in King Ravine? I am very claustrophobic and I chose to climb up and over two of the squeezes in the Subway rather than doing them. As much as I'd like to do Mahoosuc Notch I probably will never attempt.

I suppose this depends on what you consider a dayhike, but I found the Adirondacks Great Range out and back to be probably the toughest day hike I've ever done. A hut traverse is harder, but that technically spanned two days for me- 4 AM -12:30 AM.

for a single masiff, I would say the trip up north and south twin is quite difficult compared with the height of them. Maybe not the most difficult, but harder than expected from the topo.

On Mt Mansfield, the Subway trail has multiple tunnel sections - some long, some narrow. Going around these would no longer be hiking but rather "alpine climbing", with some exposure (not that it matters; falling even a few feet onto blocky talus like that will ruin your whole day), and it's not easy to find the trail once you wander off it.
This is the entrance to one tunnel; inside are ladders and other awkwardness:
http://www.davidalbeck.com/photos/2011/mansfield/i019.jpg

The Cliff trail also has a tunnel, but isn't very tight or awkward. The entrance is as bad as it gets:
http://www.davidalbeck.com/photos/2011/mansfield/i035.jpg

Hell brook trail is wet and steep, but there are no tunnels. There's a spot that's deep in the shade of some big boulders (where ice can persist into summer) but it's not a squeeze at all.

You dont have to go under any rocks in Mahoosuc Notch, if you dont mind climbing over. Under is easier, but not required.

Good to know. I've seen some YouTube videos that showed some pretty tight areas and I figured it would be "freak out" territory for me. And given the length of the section I figured I wouldn't be able to complete.

On Mt Mansfield, the Subway trail has multiple tunnel sections - some long, some narrow. Going around these would no longer be hiking but rather "alpine climbing", with some exposure (not that it matters; falling even a few feet onto blocky talus like that will ruin your whole day), and it's not easy to find the trail once you wander off it.
This is the entrance to one tunnel; inside are ladders and other awkwardness:
http://www.davidalbeck.com/photos/2011/mansfield/i019.jpg

The Cliff trail also has a tunnel, but isn't very tight or awkward. The entrance is as bad as it gets:
http://www.davidalbeck.com/photos/2011/mansfield/i035.jpg

Hell brook trail is wet and steep, but there are no tunnels. There's a spot that's deep in the shade of some big boulders (where ice can persist into summer) but it's not a squeeze at all.

Thanks for the photos. I'm thinking Subway is probably not going to make my list. :)