Public transportation to the trailhead

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sanbu

Reaction score
On my occasional return to the States, I've used rental cars to reach the trailhead. That's really expensive, so now I'm looking at public transportation. Self-driving cars would be perfect, but we might not get there in my lifetime.

Without a car, how can I get from Boston to the general area of the White Mountains, Green Mountains, and Adirondacks? And then the last mile to the trailhead? I'm looking at day hikes and week-long backpacking trips on the AT and LT. Time frame mid-September to mid-October.

I've done the Long Trail end-to-end, hitch-hiking into town for resupply. I did a lot of hitching in my younger days, but would like to avoid that now.

I'm aware of the AMC shuttle that makes a loop around the Whites. And I've heard of drivers who shuttle thru-hikers from point A to point B.

FYI, Uber or similar is out. Cell phone yes, smart phone no.

Advice? Suggestions?

There are bus stations in towns like Conway, with service from larger towns or Logan airport. Check schedules carefully, some routes are seasonal.

That last mile or twenty is a problem. Rent a bike?

You pretty well covered the options in the whites. The only other option is that some of the AT hiker hostels offer limited shuttles for guests. They normally deal with shuttles to points along the AT. White Mountains Lodge and Hostel in Shelburne. The Notch Hostel in Woodstock also does them.

I've used the Shuttle Connection (603-745-3140) in Lincoln several times. Cellphone service is required. There are other shuttle/taxi services in the Whites.

Have you looked into Meetup groups with members coming from Boston? You can probably find a carpool from Boston. If I lived in Boston and was heading up, I'd be happy to drive you, but I don't, and as you've noticed, NH is difficult to get around in without a car (or a bicycle.)

Tim

It is possible to get to the Whites, Greens or Adirondacks by bus from Boston, but it's not necessarily cheaper than renting. It will definitely take more planning and time in transit.

Bus Service Maps:
Concord Coach Lines - Service to Lincoln, North Conway, Pinkham Notch (limited), Gorham
Dartmouth Coach - Service to Hanover
Vermont Transit - Service between Hanover, Burlington and Albany NY, with several stops close to AT and/or the Long Trail
Adirondack Trailways - Service from Albany to the Adirondacks

You can go between Boston and Albany on Greyhound or Peter Pan buses.

Trail Angels is another shuttle service that hasn't been mentioned.

Basically figure on taking about a day in transit each direction; the bus schedules are somewhat awkward for hikers.

I've used the Shuttle Connection three or four times, typically to leave a car at Crawford Notch or Lincoln Woods. It's a lot more expensive than I liked but I couldn't find an alternative that worked with my timetable.

I've used Adirondack Trailways from NYC to the ADKs a few times. The routes stop within walking distance of several trailheads, notably the Garden in Keene Valley. One route goes to Tupper Lake through Lake Placid and Saranac Lake; another less useful route goes to Long Lake. You can also prearrange with the driver to be left off at other trailheads.

The main problem is that it basically takes a full day to get there. The NYC bus stops for a connection at Albany that takes a long time. The Albany bus makes many stops before reaching the ADK Park. So if I leave around 8:00 a.m. I don't get to my destination until almost 5:00, factoring in the walk after getting off the bus.

Lyft has recently expanded to NH. I don't use the service but expect it may bring in a new option for shuttling. I have run into many people who have wanted to do part time shuttling but the required commercial insurance requirements have made it so they couldn't afford to do it. Apparently Lyft offers insurance when the driver is available for shuttling. It will be interesting if there is enough demand to justify someone taking it on.

The prior alternative to getting commercial insurance was the "donation" method where the driver would establish an expectation that he would be compensated for his time as a "donation".

The other day, the 'Notch Taxi" was unloading someone at the Highland Center. Not sure what their range is, but they at least serve Crawford Notch.

You could also try simply posting here a week before your trip and see if anyone is willing to give you a ride. There may only be a handful of shuttle services in the Whites, but there are literally thousands of hikers driving to and from there weekly.

You could also try simply posting here a week before your trip and see if anyone is willing to give you a ride. There may only be a handful of shuttle services in the Whites, but there are literally thousands of hikers driving to and from there weekly.

That's a great idea! I bet a lot of us who hike every weekend in NH work the weekdays in the Boston area.