How Mt Washington Tricks People!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisB

Reaction score
Thursday, August 31, Summer 2017, 5:30 pm.

Summit temp 36 deg F, wind speed 55 mph, wind chill 20 deg F.

Better have gloves, warm hat, and Woolies in that summer day pack.

Oh, it's foggy of course.

Ya gotta love it!
Can

Last edited:
Thursday, August 30, Summer 2017, 5:30 pm.

Summit temp 36 deg F, wind speed 55 mph, wind chill 20 deg F.

Better have gloves, warm hat, and Woolies in that summer day pack.

Oh, it's foggy of course.

Ya gotta love it!
Can

Does it trick us by switching the day of the week, the calendar day, or the year? :D

We had hats, gloves, and jackets on Saturday. It was cool, but fairly light winds (maybe 5mph with some gusts to 10-15).

Yup. Only time in my life I've ever been really, truly hypothermic was July 20th (I forget the year but it was 2000 +/- 3 years) in the northern Presis. Sleeting, 34 F, winds gusting to 80, so making very slow progress with my big sail, er, pack, and (since it was July) I had no layers for my legs. Last time I ever did THAT. Thank goodness for Madison Hut.

Has it ever been too hot for anyone on the summit of Washington? I'm probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 12 times on Washington. Mostly summer. Always cool and breezy. :)

Has it ever been too hot for anyone on the summit of Washington? I'm probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 12 times on Washington. Mostly summer. Always cool and breezy. :)

Never been too warm on Washington on my 4 trips. Often foggy though. It was warm enough on Jefferson on 8/19. Everyone in short sleeves. Just a few windy spots on Gulfside heading to Clay when I put on a thin second layer but soon removed it. Best be prepared for any and all possible conditions up above 5000 feet any time of year in Presis.
22.jpg

Maybe the fact that the summit temp, has never been higher the 72.